Chapter 21: Breakup

I looked out the window quietly as Sebastian drove. I wasn't sure what he was going to tell me but he seemed really serious. When Sebastian finally pulled over I noticed we were at the outskirts of Octopolis. On the other side of the city was the palace. Sebastian and I got out of the car.

"So... why did you drag me all the way out here?" I asked leaning against the front of the car.

Sebastian walked next to me and sighed. "This is a dishonorable thing to do but I think you deserve to know the truth. You remember when you woke up in the hospital and was told the Powder Gang attacked you?"

"Yes... what about that?" I replied.

"That never actually happened. In fact nothing in your life actually happened. Everyone you've ever known, has been lying to you for... I guess your entire life.." he was having difficulty choosing his words.

I tilted my head. "I'm confused."

"Do you remember what you told me? About how Kevin mentioned you were brainwashed?" he asked. I nodded in response. "You really were brainwashed. We erased your identity and gave you a new one."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"After all the time I've spent with you. I think you have a right to know the truth. You see... the Shogun... Octavio never really loved you. You were more of a tool to him than a real Princess." Sebastian explained.

I thought back to Octavio. I remembered all the time we had spent together whenever he wasn't busy ruling. Sometimes he would neglect his duties and comfort me whenever I was upset. I snapped at Sebastian. "Never accuse him of that again!"

Sebastian continued. "I promise you it's the truth. Octavio wanted to keep you here to stop make sure Marie couldn't use the Calamari Inkantation. He made you princess so if he died, you would take the throne and continue the fight against the Inklings. Marie is the one who truly cares about you."

"You're lying! Marie hates me! She threw me out and hoped I would die on the streets!" I yelled.

"Marie loves you. She cares more about getting you back than reclaiming the Great Zapfish." Sebastian replied.

"How do I know you aren't lying to me right now? You said everyone has been lying to me my whole life. Well that includes you. Do you have any proof to back up your claims?" I questioned.

Sebastian was absolutely stumped. He was trying desperately to come up with some form of evidence. It was clear he didn't have any.

"Why would you lie to me like that?" I asked.

"I promise you it's the truth! Give me some time and I'll prove it to you." Sebastian replied trying to salvage the situation.

"No thanks. I've heard enough." I dismissed him.

"Callie..."

"That's Princess Callie to you!" I snapped. "And I don't appreciate it when people badmouth Octavio like that! I can't believe you would do that! I thought I knew you."

Sebastian was nervous. "I'm sorry Princess but-"

I interrupted him. "One more thing! I don't want to date someone who badmouths my family like that. We are through! I'm breaking up with you!" I angrily took off my shades and threw it at him. I'd slap him too but hitting his helmet would most likely just hurt my hand. "Don't follow me!"

Sebastian stood there shocked. I marched off in the direction of Octopolis trying to get as far away from him on foot as I could. I didn't even want to be in the same car as him. That was probably be the shortest relationship I would ever have, breaking up with my boyfriend the same day we got together. I hadn't even told anyone else about our relationship yet. As soon as I get back to the palace I was going to find Octavio and ask for a new personal bodyguard. Unfortunately such an opportunity never came.

It was late at night and I was walking alone in the city. For some reason this whole situation was oddly familiar. I imagined myself walking through some strange inkling city wearing different clothes. I was excited to see Marie for some reason. It was weird. Why was I drawing comparisons with this situation I've never been in. The streets were empty and lifeless. Most people were probably asleep this late at night. I continued my journey hoping to reach the palace safely.

Suddenly I felt someone grab me from behind. Before I could react a sweet smelling cloth was pressed against my mouth and nose.

"Mmph!" I screamed hoping someone would hear me.

I grabbed my attacker's hand trying to pull the cloth away from my face. Unfortunately my attacker was much stronger than I was. I started getting dragged backwards into an alley. I was helpless to stop my attacker. After a few moments I felt myself get weaker. I made one final attempt to break free summoning whatever strength I had left to push against my attacker's grip but to no avail. My strength continued to wane until I fell unconscious.

At some point I suddenly woke up and found myself lying down inside a box. I could feel the box being moved though I wasn't sure what it was that was moving it. The world was pitch black and I felt something covering my eyes. There was also something stuffed in my mouth preventing me from calling for help. I tried to reach for the items but my hands were tied behind my back. This seemed a bit overkill. Did they just tie me up for fun? It's not like I could get out of the box.

After a few minutes the box stopped moving. I heard the top open but due to the blindfold I couldn't see what was going on.

I felt a pair of hands grab me and pull me out of the box. Then the mystery captor started marching me in an unknown direction. The kidnapper untied my hands then tied them to something above my head.

"Enjoying yourself girl? Oh wait! Should I kneel and say 'your highness' quite the fall you took." I heard a male voice in front of me say in a mocking tone.

Someone behind me removed my gag. "Ah! Hello? Who are you?" I asked.

"Me? Call me Chekhov and from this moment onward your life as a princess is over."