Chapter 10: Calling Marie

Sebastian and I were the only ones in the dining room. I was just eating quietly and not really paying attention to the world around me. The cooks had prepared another burger for me. It was one of my favorites, however it did little to ease my dread. Sebastian was eating a slice of pizza. He seemed to be enjoying it. I'm sure Marie would have loved to have a slice. She always liked pizzas more than burgers.

Suddenly Sebastian stopped eating. "You've been quiet ever since I delivered your shades. Did something happen?" This snapped me back to reality.

There was silence, I didn't know what to say. On one hand, I wanted to come clean about everything. Vent all my feelings to him. On the other hand, how would he react if I told him I knew the truth? He might tell Octavio and my escape plan would be foiled. After some careful consideration, I finally came to a decision. "I told you. Everything is perfectly alright. I'm fine..."

"I know Marie has hurt you in horrible ways. I probably couldn't begin to understand how she has abused you. Regardless, just remember I'm here if you need someone to talk to." Sebastian told me with a soft voice. I could feel my insides boiling. I wanted to start yelling at him for slandering Marie like that. Instead I held my tongue and continued to eat without acknowledging him.

"Did I do something wrong?" Sebastian asked apologetically.

I took a deep breath to calm myself. "No. I don't want to talk about this right now. I just want to finish my food then go back to my room."

Sebastian finally got the hint and backed off.  We didn't speak to each other for the rest of the meal. The silence continued even while he escorted me back to my room. When we finally arrived, I went inside without a word. Before I closed the door, I made sure to give him a reassuring smile hoping he would understand I wasn't upset at him.

Once I was alone, I rushed to the drawer where I stashed my cellphone. I quickly took it out and unlocked it. Then I searched my contacts list until I found what I was looking for. I pressed the button to call Marie. I held the phone up to my ear and listened closely hoping Marie would answer.

Almost immediately, there was an answer. "Hello? Who is this?" It was Marie. She seemed a little on guard. That was understandable, she was essentially getting a call from a missing person. I could feel a wave of happiness and relief overcome me.

"Marie, it's me Callie." I spoke into the phone, trying to contain my excitement. I needed to keep my voice down or someone would hear me.

"Are you... holding your phone upside down?" Marie replied.

"Huh? Oh I totally was." I quickly adjusted so my phone was upright.

"Callie! It is you! I've been so worried about you. What's going on? Where are you? Are you alright?" Marie had a mix of relief and worriedness in her voice.

"Don't worry I'm safe. I'm in Octavio's palace." I tried to reassure her.

"Octavio's palace! What are you doing there?!" Marie yelled.

"It's a long story. The Octarians kidnapped me the night before I was supposed to meet you in Calamari County. They tried to brainwash me and turn me against you. I just found out the truth today." I explained. "But that's not why I called you."

"What do you mean by that?" Marie started to sound a little worried.

"I was hoping to find some way to help you hack into the palace while they still think I am on their side." I told her.

"No! It's too risky. You should come home while you still have a chance!" Marie insisted.

I stood my ground. "We may not get another chance like this again."