Chapter 8: Learning the Past

The throne room was massive. There was one long red carpet that led to a set of stairs. There were six support columns on each side which were holding up catwalks with a lot of benches for observers. Workers were walking around on the catwalks and inspecting the benches. At the other end of the room were two large thrones. One purple chair that was decorated in gold stood in the middle. To its right was a slightly smaller pink chair that was decorated in a similar fashion. There were a few octotrooper guards at the sides all standing on top of metal vehicles.

I could see a giant octopus wearing a huge crown sitting on the larger throne. Octavio was waiting for us in his octopus form. Kevin was standing to his left.

"Callie! Glad you could make it! Come, take your place on your throne!" Octavio called to me. He gestured to the smaller throne.

Sebastian straightened himself and marched forward. He stopped right before he reached the stairs then turned to his right and walked backwards and stopped once he was standing next to one of the support columns. I slowly climbed the stairs and sat on the pink throne.

"You feeling comfortable?" Octavio asked softly.

"Yes" I answered while squirming. I was trying to adjust myself and sit properly. I could never have imagined myself sitting on a throne.

Octavio continued to speak softly. "Good. Did Sebastian tell you why you're here? How has he been treating you?"

I looked at Sebastian. He stood there like a statue but I could tell he was shaking. Was he nervous about what I might say? Maybe it was because I could easily unmake him with a few words. I had to choose my next answer carefully.

"Sebastian is an amazing guard but..." I began.

Kevin interrupted. "Uh oh. Sounds like Sebastian has been treating the Princess poorly?" he said in a smug tone. I looked at Sebastian. He didn't respond but I could see his fear was starting to take over.

"Well Sebastian? Do you have anything to say?" Octavio asked with growing anger.

Sebastian turned to face us. He was trembling in fear as he dropped to his knees and started to beg. "Princess, please forgive me if I have displeased you!"

"You have committed high treason against the royal family. The penalty for that is death! Do you deny the charges against you?" Octavio snapped.

Sebastian turned to look at me. I had a look of horror on my face. I needed to defuse the situation quickly. I tried to speak but it felt like words wouldn't come out of my mouth.

Sebastian hesitated. Perhaps he was trying to study my expression and make a decision based off that. Then he answered. "No your highness!" I almost fainted when I heard that. He wasn't even going to try to defend himself?

I started to panic. I didn't want Sebastian to die but he seemed to have already given up. "He didn't do anything wrong!" I blurted out.

Everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and looked at me. The room was filled with an uncomfortable silence. I used this moment to gather my thoughts and compose myself.

Once I was ready, I spoke in a more calm and collected voice that still had some authority in it. "Sebastian didn't do anything wrong. I like having him as my guard. However, he told me about the protocols he has to follow around me. Those protocols make me uncomfortable and I want it to stop."

"Why do they make you uncomfortable?" Octavio asked. I noticed he had calmed down.

I saw the rest of the room went back to whatever they were doing. Now only Octavio, Kevin and Sebastian were paying attention to me. Sebastian wasn't on his knees begging anymore which was a good sign. Kevin was giving me a blank stare. I don't know why I was friends with him. It felt like he was there to cause trouble.