Chapter 2: Imprisonment

I slowly regained consciousness and found myself laying on a cold stone floor. I was in a small room with no windows and what looked to be an automatic door. I got up and noticed the bars. I was in a tiny prison cell. I rubbed my head that octoling really packs a punch. I took some deep breaths to calm myself and look for a way out. I was frightened, why was I here? Where's Marie? Is she safe?

Once I finally calmed myself down, I changed into my squid form and tried to squeeze through the bar. The second I touched the bars, I felt a small shock and was forced out of my squid form. The second I switched back to my inkling form the shocking feeling stopped and the bar was safe to touch. I pressed myself against the bars trying to see what was outside my cell. All I could see was a table with my phone and what looked to be an automated door on the other side of the room.

I closed my eyes trying to remember what I could about that octoling who knocked me out. He talked to me like he had a personal grudge against the New Squidbeak Splatoon. That shouldn't be too surprising, the Octarians are our enemies. However, somehow he knew I was Agent 1. That was unsettling.

I hoped Marie was alright. Wait Marie! I was supposed to meet her at the train station. She probably already knows I am missing. She must be worried sick when I didn't show up. Suddenly my phone started to ring. I recognized the ringtone it was an instrumental version of the "Calamari Inkantation". The ringtone I had set specifically for Marie's phone. She was trying to call me. I started to liven up.

I reached through the bars, trying to get to my phone. If I could answer it, I could tell her what happened and she can come save me. No matter how much I reached I could just barely touch it. After a few seconds of struggling I managed to pull it a little bit towards me. Perfect, now all I had to do was pick it up.

Suddenly another hand came and snatched my phone away. It was that octoling from earlier. "Looking for this?" the octoling boy smiled sadistically. The phone stopped ringing.

"Give it back!" I yelled as he started teasing me with my phone. He would hold it close to the bars and pull it away whenever I tried to grab it.

The struggle stopped when the door opened and another octoling came in. She was wearing the same gear he was except she had seaweed on her head, signifying her status as an elite. "Alright you already had your fun. Get out of here and prepare for your next assignment." I wasn't sure whether to be relieved she ordered him out of the room, or afraid of her commanding tone.

"Yes ma-am. Can't believe I am still taking orders from you." the octoling grumbled.

"I'm sorry did I hear that right? What makes you think you can mouth off your commanding officer like that! I swear you are the least disciplined soldier in this entire army. Get out of here now!" she ordered. The octoling boy put my phone on the other end of the table leaning upright against a wall and walk away without saying a word. I could see he really was afraid of her. Once he was gone, the elite octoling turned her attention to me. "We're almost ready for you Agent 1. It looks like I may need some backup for this." She then turn to leave the room.

"Almost ready for what?" I asked. She did not respond and just kept walking. "Hey! Answer me!" I yelled. The octoling then closed the door behind her and left me alone.

I went to the other side of the room trying to get as far away from the cell door as possible. I then sat in a corner and curled up into a ball to comfort myself. That was my one chance to tell Marie what happened. What if she doesn't find me? Whatever they were planning to do with me it couldn't be good. I was so scared, I started to cry. I wanted to go home and see Marie. She had no idea what happened to me. I cried for what felt like hours.

I heard the phone start ringing again. Marie was trying to call me a second time. I tried to reach for it again but the phone was too far this time. The phone stopped ringing and about a minute later I saw a new text message appear.