Chapter 13

"Ain't gonna fight it cause it's useless

I can't get this music out of my head" Julie listens to one of her favorite songs in the whole world, dancing along while walking through the hallways of her school. She's probably out of her mind, but she loves that she finally feels reconnected to her mom a year after she passed, not caring about how other people must be looking at her. Brielle is home sick, which is her way of saying that she is very sore from the previous night's beatings, and staying in the music studio.

"It's like the beat is taking over

Weight off of my shoulders

Dancing instead" Julie continues to rock out, imagining herself in a music video and by the end of the song, reaches her locker completely unaware she has  a pair of drum sticks in her back pocket. The boy she stole the sticks from asks for them back, and she just gulps, slightly embarrassed and has no idea what was actually real and what wasn't from her little imagination.

"Hey, what's up?" Julie asks, seeing her best friend next to her.

"Nothing. It's nice to see you back to your... weirdo self." Flynn walks up to see her curly haired best friend still half jamming out to her song.

"Thanks?" Julie places her backpack in her locker, eager to get on with the rest of the day after the weekend she just had. Music was flowing through her body like never before.

"So, how's the band? Still hot? Still talented? Still dead?" Flynn whispers the last part, just trying to get the scoop on what's going on in Julie's life. "And where's Brielle?"

"Brielle is home sick. And the boys are amazing. Luke and I spent the whole weekend writing songs." Brielle did when she could, but with homework and going home, she couldn't help as much. "Come on. You want to hear some of them?" Julie offers, already knowing the answer.

"Duh!" Flynn replies with a smile, following Julie to the music room.

"Like it was flowing through me like when I used to write with mom." Julie raves. "So, this is the first song Luke and I wrote." Julie rests her fingers on the keys, remembering the notes. "Here's a bit of the chorus."

"Cause we're standing

On the edge of great

Great

Great" Julie plays the piano along with the chorus, imagining the whole song she and Luke wrote on Saturday.

"Wow, I like it. Definite Gaga vibes." Flynn notes, vibing with the song.

"Thanks, I think we have an anthem with this one." Julie agrees, before moving onto the next one. "It's something my mom and I were working on. Luke and I finished it, along with a bit of Brielle's help. Check it out."

"And it's one, two, three more times

That I'll try for one more night

Light a fire in my eyes

I'm going out of my mind" Brielle secretly wrote a lot of that song with the help of Julie's mom, especially the chorus, trying to put into words her daily struggle with her parents.

"That's... that's beautiful." Flynn remarks, definitely seeing the traces of Brielle's handiwork throughout the lyrics. "And my girl's got a crush and his name is Luke." Well, Flynn, you're wrong about that.

"What? No. Luke's a ghost." Julie says, not even imagining Luke, but rather Reggie when she says those words. He may be the most immature seventeen year old she's ever met, but it makes her smile when he cracks his jokes and tries to bond with her dad even though he's well aware Ray can't see him.