Chapter 16

Because I'm an idiot and accidentally published chapter 18 earlier today (since I pre-write a couple chapters in advance in case life gets hectic), here's chapter 16. Wattpad really needs to separate those buttons more or add a "do you want to publish?" button. Chapter 17 will be posted this Friday as well.

"We're sorry." Reggie sings as soon as Julie is in sight.

"So sorry." Alex pops out from behind Luke, singing his line.

"We're super-duper, crazy, stupid sorry." Luke sings all but the last word alone, when his two bandmates join him in a three-person version of a barbershop quartet.

"In case you missed it, we're really sorry." No way. Julie just blankly stares at them, still upset about what happened the night before. Singing an apology won't magically fix the embarrassment that is bound to follow her for the next several weeks. And with Carrie, it will be months.

"Yeah. I got that part." Julie retorts.

"We've been here for, like, three hours." Alex smiles, although Carlos' trips to the bathroom in there did not please a single one of them.

"Yep." Reggie high fives Alex while Luke is still kneeling on the ground from his performance.

Standing up, Luke blurts out, "We almost sang to your little brother."

"He comes in here a lot. Mainly to use the bathroom." Reggie continues Luke's thought and Julie is laughing just a little inside at Reggie's comment.

"Yeah, it's not our favorite part of the day." Alex shudders, before Luke continues to apologize.

"But, Julie, it wasn't cool that we flaked on the dance last night." Luke looks at the floor, still embarrassed that they did that. He checked the clock about fifteen times in the first couple hours, but the clock barely changed, and by the time it came to be midnight, that's when he noticed that the clock had changed to reflect the time change. "We know we let you down."

"None of us wanted to disappoint you." Alex continues, trying to convince Julie that they made the worst mistake they've ever made. Since they've been ghosts at least. "You're the best thing that's happened to us since we became ghosts."

"So, in hopes that you'll rejoin the band," Luke starts, Julie already thinking no, "we booked a new gig." Julie just stares at the lead guitarist, wondering why in the world she would join him for a gig when they bailed on her just the night before.

"A mega important, life-changing gig." Reggie interjects just before she gives her answer.

"Check it out. Tons of managers go here to listen to new bands." Luke points out as she reads the flyer. "All we gotta do is blow them all away and we're living the dream." Julie is internally fuming at the idea. First, they bail on her, embarrassing her in front of her whole school, and now they just magically expect her to play alongside them at this club?

"So, this means a lot to you, huh?" Julie wonders, and the boys somehow believe that she's on board with everything. Wrong again, little dudes. "Kind of how playing in front of my whole entire school meant a lot to me." Now, they realize that she was just building suspense to try to make her point crystal clear.

"Sounds like sarcasm." Julie just glares at the guy she thought she liked, wishing the last twenty-four hours didn't happen. "I'm starting to think our plan isn't working." Oh my gosh, Reggie, are you an idiot.

"Look, we know we messed up." No, really?

"But, we need you in the band."

"Yeah, because without me, no one can see you guys playing." You were asking for it.