Chapter 29

"Brielle, please, wake up." Luke whispers, and Reggie and Alex touch her, wishing she could be magically healed like they were. Their stamps are even gone after they all touched one of the two girls. All they care about, though, is Brielle. Their concerns are put on the back burner as her breathing shallows.

"She has a pulse, but it's fading." Julie says. Brielle's now laying on the floor, with Luke and Alex on one side and Reggie and Julie on the other. Every single one of them is on the brink of crying at what might be her last breaths ever. Calling 911 isn't even a thought that passes through their minds.

"Can I have some time alone with her?" Luke asks, and everyone respects his wishes. They all know she's about to die, and know the deep connection the two of them shared. "Brielle, we heard your voice begging us to come back. You're what made us realize we're stronger than the magic that tied us to that club. And we are never going back." Remembering a song he wrote a while ago, right when he realized he like-liked her.

"Step into my world

Bittersweet love story about a girl

Shook me to the core

A voice like an angel, I've never heard before" A tear slips down his cheek as he closes his eyes, praying for nothing less than a miracle.

As his eyes stay closed, a golden glow envelops Brielle's body as well. Each and every bruise healed, the internal bleeding that was causing her body to shut down is completely gone, and the magic did the one thing nobody could have ever expected, dreamed. She's wished on a million stars that she could have her old life back, before Aliyah left, her parents hit her to the point she couldn't move, before Julie's mom died.

Her prosthetic foot turned into a real one.

She was completely healed, from the inside out.

"Here in front of me

They're shining so much brighter than I have ever seen

Life can be so mean

But when he goes, I know he doesn't leave" Brielle sings, shocking Luke into opening his eyes to see the beautiful girl he's falling for healthy and awake.

"You woke up." Brielle smiles at how happy Luke is, melting into the hug she thought she'd never get.

"I have you to thank for that." Brielle is happy crying as she realizes how little pain she's in. Which is no pain at all. Pulling up the sleeves of her white-washed jean jacket, she doesn't even recognize that it's her arm. "There's no bruises." Pulling up the hem of her shirt to reveal her pale stomach, she sees pure, unmarked skin, and she realizes one very big thing.

Her prosthetic is a real foot now.

"My foot..." Brielle pulls off her shoe, and Luke sees not the crappy rubber replacement of a foot, but a real one. No metal, no bindings, no nothing. She even wiggles her toes and giggles at the thought of not having a prosthetic anymore.

"Everything is healed." Luke says, and she wraps her arms around him one more time. "Guys, she's awake!"

"Brielle!" Julie is first to hug her, before all five of them join in a group hug, savoring each other's touch.

"Guys, I think the band's back." Luke smiles, and none of them want to leave the safe embrace of each other for at least a few more minutes.

Brielle, choosing to stay in the garage for one more night, changes the couch into a bed and jumps on it, happier than she's ever been. Reggie and Alex are somewhere else, just walking around, while Luke chooses to stay with her in the studio.