2. tubbo + reader ; cornelia street

a/n: strictly platonic, they are both minors. don't be weird

type: angst

tw // blood, injury, car accident, major character death

the intoxicating scent of gasoline drifted through the slight gap between the structured curve of the car door and the worn tint on the windows. y/n's fingertips met the trigger, giving it a quick squeeze to allow the window to roll down further, feeling the sweet relief of a cool breeze break the sleepy stuffiness that had previously embraced the battered ruby corolla the moment the passenger door slammed shut, back in front of a certain british teenagers inhabitance.

she applied a short burst of pressure against the gas pedal with her high topped converse, which debatably might've been more worn than the car that spluttered and groaned beneath the two teenagers. tubbo leaned one arm to rest against the window, the drowsiness still evident in the sloppiness of his movements and the way he winced, eyebrows furrowing, as the gentle blue light of the radio flickered to life. the stereos allowed for the mellow tunes to drift throughout the interior of the car, subsequently calming both the female and the male, one of which who continued to drive the car, her eyes fixated firmly on the road, and the other who seemed deep in thought; one might say contemplative. streetlights whizzed by the window, progressively slower as the car rolled to a stop at a set of traffic lights.

y/n took this as an opportunity to reach across the dashboard for the aux cord, plugging one end into the stereo setup of the car, the other into her phone, before handing it to the brunette who sat by her. he clicked onto her music library, opting for an all time favourite that the pair both enjoyed. y/n let her e/c eyes wander for a split second to the small screen situated just below her dashboard to glimpse at which song had been chosen.

[ 𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨 ]

◜ cornelia street - taylor swift ◝

0:00 |───────── 4:01

|◁ II ▷|

∞ ↺

▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 100 %

the radiant green beam of the traffic light captured the h/c's lips curling into a slight smile. tubbo grinned; the other teenager no longer had the darkness to hide in.

it wasn't long before both were belting out the words to their favourite song, singing morbidly out of tune but enjoying themselves nevertheless.

"we were a fresh page, on the desk filling in the blanks as we go," tubbo laughed, watching y/n singing the words passionately, all focus on the road long forgotten. he breathed, before finishing the line with her.

"as if the street lights pointed in an arrow head, leading us home."

"and i hope i never lose you, hope it never ends!" y/n's face was illuminated in the moonlight. her hair fell messily around her, and her eyes, still fixed on the road, shined with a newfound excitement. it was as if they were kids again, finding joy in even the simplest things. if only life was so easy now.

"i'd never walk cornelia street again," tubbo's brunette locks also fell haphazardly around his face. an oh-so-familiar smile was etched onto his face, blue eyes wide open now, all drowsiness long forgotten.

"that's the kind of heartbreak, time would never end. i'd never walk cornelia street again."

you both erupted into a symphony of laughter as you screeched out the words manically.

streetlights whizzed past the pair, the car now settling at a steady 90kms an hour. the windows were already starting to show telltale signs of ice, however the female brushed this off, keeping her foot firmly lodged on the gas pedal.

out of nowhere, headlights appeared in front of the corolla. tubbo opened his mouth to speak, however at seeing the headlights, he screamed instead. y/n slammed her foot down on the brake pedal, expecting to screech to a stop but instead being greeted with the world dislodging itself as the car spun, along with the teenagers lines of vision. tears pooled in the females e/c irises as the window beside her shattered, narrowly avoiding a deformed bumper bar from becoming closely acquainted with her forehead.

tubbo tried to scream, but he felt as if he was choking. he chances a look at his best friend, the car still spinning, only to find she was in just as bad a state as he was. glass shards were littered in her hair and blood leaked from a cut on her temple. tubbo coughed weakly, spattering blood on the dashboard in front of him. y/n's nightmares came to life as she watched tubbo wheezing painfully; her best friend dying right in front of her eyes. hastily unbuckling both their seatbelts, y/n tried to ignore the ache in her head as she pulled her best friend close. tubbo accepted the embrace gratefully, wrapping his arms around the females waist as hers rested gently around his neck.

"shh, it's okay. i'm right here. i'm here," tubbo whispered as he watched y/n fighting off tears. she clenched her teeth as another wave of pure agony hit her, vision going slightly fuzzy and her thoughts blurring as pain erased all else; only the brunette males voice breaking the haze of pain.

"just breathe sweetheart. in and out."

you followed your friends breathing, all the while keeping an eye on him.

"i'm alright tubbo. i'm fine."

the car drifted into a content silence. it seemed as if you might've been sitting there for hours, when in reality it might've only been a few minutes, if that. the rain kept falling in an uneven pattern outside the car, but for now, it was just you, tubbo and the slightly distorted sound of the radio.

you rubbed circles on your best friends back as you sang quietly; angelically.

"and i hope i never lose you, i hope it never ends."

tubbo coughed violently. you just held him closer, feeling his tears through your nightshirt.

"i'd never walk cornelia street again."

i felt y/n's arms around me. i was safe. i started to sing with her; this was the last time i'd ever hear her sing, to our favourite song.

"that's the kind of heartbreak time could never mend."

i cried into tubbo's shoulder. this was the end. i couldn't have asked for it to end any other way. in my best friends arms, i'd always be safe.

"i'd never walk cornelia street again."

the melodic strums of the guitar floated through the interior of the car, almost as if it was just a normal moonlit drive.

"and baby, i get mystified by how this city screams your name!"

tubbo drifted off into silence as the world became grey and fuzzy. y/n's voice became faint, and quiet, until it faded out completely. and then there was nothing.

"and baby i'm so terrified, of if you ever walk away."

i felt my best friend take his last breath in my arms. tears began to roll down my cheeks, although i was kind of glad tubbo had been spared this pain. my heart was tearing itself apart; i'd just watched my best friend die. i glanced up to the sky, looking at the stars for some kind of sign. the street light flicked above me, reflecting off the street sign. cornelia street.

"i'd never walk cornelia street again."

i sang, watching as the red and blue lights flickered closed and closer, and sirens overpowered the soft, sweet melodies of the guitar. until the world went black.

i'd never walk cornelia street again. 

wc: 1246

started // 7 january, 2021: 2:58pm

finished // 11 january, 2021: 8:08pm