1: Escape

Anna's P.O.V.

I tried to be as quiet as possible but I guess he heard me. Shit. I was so close to the front door. He spoke up which caused me to turn around,"Where do you think you're going, huh?", he said.

I didn't have much time to react, so I just pulled out the gun that I had robbed before from his bedroom. My hands were shaking badly as I tried to point the gun at him. Suddenly he pulled out a gun, too. I was so fucking scared that he would shoot me.

My own fucking stepfather. He is a police officer of a high rank, so he obviously had a lot of guns at home.

I looked up at him and saw his eyes burning with anger while he gritted his teeth. He was drunk. again.

He took a step forward and I tightened my grip around the revolver. "Oh, you're going to shot me?", he laughed ridiculously after saying this. I barely couldn't look at him anymore out of disgust.

"You fucking slut", he slurred and started to run towards me. Everything happened so fast that I couldn't even comprehend what just happened. But then I saw him laying on the ground holding onto his bleeding chest.

"YOU BITCH YOU WILL REGRET THIS", he screamed in pain and slammed one of his fists on the ground. I could feel my anxiety rise. I had to get out of this house as soon as possible. So,I quickly took my backpack, which I've packed before, threw the gun in it and stormed out of the house.

After running for a couple of minutes I paused. I was out of breath. The sunlight hit my face and just then I realized that the whole time tears were streaming down my cheeks. Great, I probably look like shit. However, more importantly was, where the hell was I going? I couldn't go to the police station, they would immediately arrest me for shooting one of their chefs, who was unfortunately also my stepfather. I mean, I couldn't go to jail. I'm only 18.

My mom died a year ago in car accident and I never got to know my real dad since he left my mom when she was pregnant with me. After my mom's death everything changed because now it was just me and my stepfather, who was a drunk and abusive piece of shit. I have no one. Not even friends. They either left for college or just stopped interacting with me. Either way they disappeared out of my life. It was mostly my fault that people left. I either pushed them away or I just hadn't have the energy to reply to their texts. I could also barely meet them because of my stepfather. He wouldn't let me out of the house. So, it's understandable that they wouldn't want to be my friend anymore.

Except for one. His name was Chase.

We were best friends since kindergarten. We always got up to nonsense and had so much fun together. But he also had some problems to deal with. I obviously knew that but he wouldn't let me help him. Instead he would just push people away and try to cope with his problems by taking drugs. Long story short, the drugs killed him and I ended up losing my best friend.

Even though I could've possibly helped him. But I am one to talk. I literally do the same thing. I never open up to people. Even if I wanted to my mind wouldn't let me. Chase had always sensed that something was wrong with me and used to ask me about it sometimes, but I downplayed it every time. "I'm fine", was what I said and the lie that I've probably used the most.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard sirens. Shit. They were looking for me. Oh God no. Out of panic I started to run but after a few seconds I stopped. Am I stupid? Running will make me look suspicious. But the officers cannot see me. They know me because of my stepfather. I had to act quickly. So, I ran towards a house and climbed over the fence. On the other side of the fence was a back door. 

I gripped the doorhandle and tried to open the door but it was closed. Dammit. The police is going to see me if I stay here. Suddenly an idea came to my mind which was probably a stupid one but it could save me from going into prison. So, I took a big stone that was laying there and threw it against the window. The glass immediately broke with the contact of it.

I reached my arm into the hole and opened the backdoor from inside. Quickly, I stepped inside and breathed for a second. Was I safe now? Probably not. I just broke into a stranger's house. Oh God a police officer could live here. I instantly grabbed my gun out of my backpack.

Fuck. What do I do? I cannot go outside because then the police will see me. But I cannot stay here. The house owner could call the police on me as well. Should I shoot them too? God no. Am I ever going to be able to get out of this vicious cycle?

I knew that escaping would be hard but that's why I planned it long enough. Nevertheless, it was probably not planned perfectly because here I am stuck.

"Mom?" all of a sudden I heard a girl's voice. It came from upstairs. Oh no. Someone's at home. Shit, she is probably going to call the police. No, I can't go to jail. Anna relax and think, relax and think.

"Mom is that you?", she called out again. Oh God, I was helpless. I didn't know what to do.  My anxiety started to increase even more . I was shaking and my heart began to race. Oh no I can't breathe. Am I going to die? Like this? Pathetic. All this time I longed for freedom and happiness. Just everything that I've never experienced while being held home by my stepfather. Gosh, I don't even want to think about him anymore.

I turned towards the door. Air. I need air.

I was about to open the backdoor but a voice made me stop. It was the same voice that called out for their mother before.

"What the fuck are you doing here?", the voice asked.

I turned around and saw a girl with brown shoulder-length hair, around my age pointing a gun at me.

"I asked you something, so fucking answer" she threateningly looked me into the eyes.

"I-I-",I could barely speak because of the panic attack that I was having.

"Who the fuck are you and what are you doing in my house?", she asked angrily and firmed her grip around her gun.

My whole body was shaking at this point. I let my gun fall on the ground and lifted my arms up.

"Pl-please, don't sh-shoot, pl-please" was the only thing that escaped my mouth. Tears were coming out of my eyes. I thought I was either going to die because of her gunshot or my panic attack.

But suddenly the doorbell rang. "Hello, is anyone home? This is the police"