10: Movie night

Anna's P.O.V.

Yesterday has been rough. After Eva caught me going through her stuff, she had decided to avoid me for the rest of the day. I tried to apologize multiple times but she didn't want to listen to me and eventually left the house. She hasn't returned since then.

Today her mom came a bit earlier from work. She entered the kitchen and saw me standing there behind the counter drinking some water.

"Oh hi Anna", she greeted me.

"Hey", I greeted her back and put down my cup.

"Where's Eva? Is she still asleep?", she asked while grabbing a drink from the fridge.

I sighed, "No, we kind of had a fight yesterday, so she left and hasn't returned yet. Maybe she's at a friend's house"

"Oh you guys fought?", she looked at me with a suprised face.

"Yeah but it was my fault", I said looking down at the counter.

I completely understood that she was upset. We were slowly gaining each other's trust but I had to be stupid and ruin it.

"Hey Sweetie, it's okay she'll come around, so don't be so hard on yourself. We all do things that we regret afterwards but it just happens in the moment. I especially regret a lot of things that I did as a mother. I mean, my own child hates me and I honestly think it's valid", she gave me a sad smile and continued, "But it just happens in the moment, where I act without thinking and later on realize how stupid it was".

"Did you ever try to apologize to her?", I asked remembering their fight from a couple of weeks ago.

"I tried to but she never takes my apology seriously and always pushes me away, so I am really clueless on what to do anymore", she sighed and took a seat in the chair next to the counter.

"I think it would help, if you would just be there for her. You know, as in listening to her, whenever she is not feeling well, instead of ignoring her", I tried to not be offensive but someone should tell this lady the truth.

"I-I don't ignore her. It's just that sometimes thing get too overwhelming for me. You know, with her depressive episodes sometimes. It's something that I'm not very familiar with and I'm scared to do something wrong. That's why I'm honestly glad that she has her antidepressants because I don't know how to help her".

Oh so the pills from her drawer were her antidepressants. To be honest I couldn't even tell that she was depressive.
But I am one to talk. I am literally depressed myself and no one of my old friends knew about it except for Chase.
Most people can't tell if someone's suffering from depression. Probably because we try to appear as happy as possible on the outside, while we suffer in silence on the inside.

I took a seat next to her and said, "Melissa, I can assure that she feels neglected by you, even though it may not be your intention to let her feel that way. But you have to give her the feeling of you caring about her. Maybe instead of just apologizing, show her that you care. You know...Actions speak louder than words"

She looked at me for a few seconds, taking everything in that I just said and then nodded, "I think you're right. Thank you Anna for opening up my eyes. I really needed that"