12: Worst day ever

Anna's P.O.V.

When you think things are getting finally better, they are only getting worse.

Today was literally the worst day of my life. Oh wait I correct that, it was the second worst day of my life. The first one was definitely the day my mom passed away and left me with the biggest piece of shit on earth.

The feeling of fear, hatred and sadness overcame me, the minute that I saw his face on Tv. Seeing him alive only brought back many memories, which I didn't want to relive.

'Please come home Anna' my ass. Does he really think I'm that gullible? He promises to not involve the police, when he himself is literally a cop, who could arrest me. Or no wait I forgot, he rather likes it to mentally and physically abuse and manipulate people. Locks them up in their own room and claims that this is the right way to raise a child.

Totally makes sense. Not.

-

"No you can't go out", he said as he smashed his hands onto the table, which caused his beer bottle to fall.

"Why not? You can't keep me here forever. I have school, I have friends and I have a damn life, Greg", I said.

It's been almost three weeks since my mom had her accident. Since then my stepfather didn't allow me to leave the house. He said it's too dangerous outside for me, when the most dangerous place was at home with him drunk.

I don't even know if I can call it home anymore cause it sure doesn't feel like it.

"You're going to be homeschooled from now on, and your friends are a bad influence for you anyways, so you don't need to see them", he responded.

"How are they a bad influence for me? They are literally the only people that are here for me and trying to understand me. Especially Chase"

"Especially Chase, you shouldn't see. He is a fucking drug addict and if you keep hanging out with him, you end up like an addict, too. Do you want to leave earth so soon like your mother did? You're the only family that I still have, you cannot leave me, too"

Manipulative much?

I remember my mom telling me that Greg was an only child and had lost his parents at a very young age. His other relatives weren't really in touch with him, so that left him to have no family at all. After my mom's death, he started to get paranoid and worried about me constantly. But the way he worried was toxic. Very toxic.

Locking me up inside of my room and hitting me when I would try to leave, was his way of 'protecting' me from the dangerous world outside.

He told me how I should be thankful to have someone like him because he 'cares' so much about me. But the next minute he would call me a slut or other names.

Alcohol was his best friend and the one that would turn him into a nightmare. I still remember the night when he came drunk home for the first time. It was the same night my mom had her car accident. My mom was on her way to get my present.

Yes it was my birthday.

I didn't know that she was getting me a present, so I wondered why she wasn't home at the usual time.
I called her and she picked up the phone.

"Mom, where are you?", I asked her.

"Anna, hey, I'll be home soon. I just have to pick up your present", she responded with a hint of excitement.

"My present? Mom I told you that I don't want anyth-"

"I know, I know but I wanted to"

It was just then when I realized that she was driving the whole time, "Mom, wait are you driv-"

I was cut off by a scream and a loud crash. My pupils went wide and my heart stopped beating.
The only thing that was now heard at the end of the phone, was just a 'beep' sound.

My mom died rightaway at the scene of the accident.

It was the worst day of my life, which also happended to be my birthday, and I knew that since this day, that I wouldn't be celebrating it anymore.

When Greg got the news, he didn't come home straightaway. He went to a bar first and got himself drunk there. Later that night, when he finally returned home, he looked for me.

I was in my room in tears, still not believing that today was real. Suddenly, Greg entered my room and gave me a look of disgust.

"It's your fucking fault", he slurred and in the next moment he connected his fist with my jaw and started to beat me up. Eventually, he broke my ribs so badly that I was so close to suffocate and die.

I kinda wish I did, so I wouldn't have to keep up with all of this anymore. Greg blamed me for my mother's death and I honestly did it too. He said that if it wouldn't have been for my phone call, she would still be here with us. I knew he was right.

The day after he had calmed down and his anger had turned into worry. He made sure to not lose sight of me. Since then I've been trapped by him in this house and it has just been three weeks now, but I'm so tired of it. I feel like a prisoner.

-

A year after and I'm finally out of his house. But after seeing him alive, I knew that I could end up there in any minute again.

After I bawled my eyes out in Eva's arms, she took me into her room and I layed down on her bed.

I was just tired. Not necessarily physically but mentally. So, here was I just laying in bed while Eva was sitting next to me in silence.

Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting her to comfort me at all. Instead I thought she would grab her phone and dial 911. But she didn't.

Why?

I decided to break the silence, "Why?", I asked and before she could give me an answer, I continued, "Why am I still in your house? Why haven't you called the police yet?"

She stared at me dumbfounded, "Why should I?". Was she playing with me?

"You heard what he said on Tv", I was referring to Greg's statement.

"Yeah I know, but it's bullshit", she said and crossed her arms. I frowned at her and she continued, "Anna, I've only known you for a few weeks but I can tell that you wouldn't even harm a fly. This whole time you could've already took your gun and killed me but you didn't. So, I know that there must be a better explanation to everything than what you dad said. Also, a few things don't even add up. He talked about some junkie friend of yours but I haven't seen one. So, tell me why should I call the cops when he is clearly lying"

I was taken aback by her words, simply because I was expecting her to believe Greg. I mean, she had no reason to trust me, especially not after the incident with her pills. So, I proceeded to misgive her, "But I'm not innocent".

"Okay, then explain me why", she looked me straight into the eyes.

"It's a long story", I warned her.

"I have time"

~~~

I honestly don't know if I should continue the story since Eva is taken now and idk if it's weird or disrespectful.