11: Broken

Eva's P.O.V.

I woke up feeling something warm in my hand. As I looked, I saw that it was the blondie's hand. We must've probably fallen asleep after the movie last night. I pulled away. The thought of us holding hands for the whole night made me feel weird.

So, I decided to stand up and eat something.
While eating in the living room, I turned on the Tv. There was nothing good to watch. That's when I checked the time. Oh God it was too early for a vacation day. However, I didn't want to go to bed again, so I stayed.

My mom entered the living room while she packed her bag to leave for work. She noticed me and looked a bit suprised to see me already up because I usually tend to sleep until noon.

"Oh you're already up, that's rare"

"I couldn't sleep on", I simply said and searched through the Tv channels for anything entertaining.

"Eva about the other day...I wanted to apologize. I've said some things that I shouldn't have said because I was so enraged", she sighed, "Maybe we could do something together on the weekend together, so we can have some bonding time, you know?"

It was not the first time that she apologized for her behavior but whenever she did it, she went back to being a bitch. The only thing that suprised me this time was her wanting to spend time with me. Was she really sorry? I don't know but I didn't want to get my hopes up high.

"Yeah sure, we can do that", I said but then instantly realized that Anna would be unsupervised at home. Technically, she wouldn't try to run away anymore since she had nowhere else to go, right?

My mom gave me a small smile and then checked the time on her watch, "Oh it's already 7:30, can you switch to the local news channel, please", my mom asked. She always watched the news before leaving for work. So, I switched to the news channel and grabbed my phone.

While I was responding to some text messages, the Tv suddenly caught my attention.

"So why did she run away?", the news reporter asked some man. Under the man it was shown his name and his profession. He was a police chief and his name was Greg.

Greg sighed and looked very sad, "We were having a fight because I didn't let her go out with a friend, whose name I unfortunately don't know. The guy seemed to be some junkie. Obviously I wasn't going to let my daughter leave with him, so it came to an argument between us. The guy had a gun with him and when he realized that I wasn't going to let my daughter go, he took the weapon and shot me right into my chest. They left immediately afterwards and I was hospitalized a bit later for a few weeks.
I haven't heard anything from her since then.

"Did you file a missing person report, Sir?"

"No, I haven't but there is a reason to it.
I know that my daughter would hate me if I would let all of the police forces look after her and I don't want to cause anymore trouble between us. So, I hope that she is seeing this right now", he turned towards the camera and looked straight into it,
"Please, come home. I know that you're mad at me for not letting you leave but please come back home. I won't even involve the police in it, I promise. You're the only family that I still have. So, please come home Anna"

I felt my heart sink into my boots when I heard his last sentence.

Please come home Anna.

I felt like being paralyzed. Did he really say Anna? Oh God please no.

"Wow that must be horrible for this man. He 'lost' his daughter trying to protect her", my mom spoke up.

"But what a coincidence her name is also Anna", my mom laughed, "You know back then in high school we had four Mary's in our grade. It was always so funny whenever the teacher would confuse them"

My mom was talking to me but I wasn't even listening to her. My mind was still trying process what the man, or more precisely Anna's dad, just said.
The whole story was so fucked up.

But something didn't add up.

I felt someone's presence a few feet away from me. So, I turned to the living room entrance and saw Anna standing there with her mouth open. She probably saw the interview with her dad, too.

Suddenly, she noticed me staring at her and we had shortly eye contact before she rapidly stormed out. I wanted to go after her but my mom stopped me.

"Eva wait, why are you so in a hurry? I was just about to tell you a story about my teacher, Mr. Johnson. It's so fun-", I interrupted her.

"Mom, no offense but I just remembered that I have some important things to do", I stood up from the couch and just heard her responding, "Oh okay, have fun. I should also head to work now. It's getting a bit late for me"

She stood up, grabbed her bag and left, while I rushed up the stairs.

Fuck where is she?

I looked into my room but she wasn't there. Where was she hiding? I noticed that the bathroom door was closed, so I tried to open it.

It was locked, damn it.

"Anna?", I knocked softly on the door, "Please open up, it's just me"

I could've sworn hearing her sob, so I tried it again.

"Anna?", I gently said. Still no answer from her.

Fortunately, we had a spare key for the bathroom, I remembered. Don't ask me why. Quickly, I grabbed the key from my mom's drawer and headed back to the bathroom door.

"Anna? Listen I got another key for the door, so I coming in now", I inserted the key and opened the door.

What I saw next broke my heart. There she was sitting on the floor with her knees hugged to her chest while crying. Her face was buried in her arms.

She looked so broken.

I immediately rushed to her side and just pulled her into a hug. She was shaking so badly. Fuck, it was probably a panic attack.

"Hey shh it's okay", I whispered in her ear, "It's okay Anna, please breathe. You need to breathe", I rubbed her back and she cried even harder.

Don't get me wrong I've already seen her cry but this time hurt me much more seeing her like this. Like I actually had some empathy with her. A lot of empathy to be honest.

After a few minutes she calmed a bit down. We stayed in that same position while her silent sobs were the only sound filling the bathroom. I honestly didn't know what to say to her, so I ran my hand on her back to comfort her.

The story that her dad told just didn't make sense to me. He metioned a junkie friend but I have not seen one and my eyesight is perfect, just saying.

Also, her dad talked about how her friend shot him but why did Anna then have a gun? Or was it her friend's gun and where was this supposed friend? Did he leave her? And was everything that her dad said actually true?

So many questions were running through my mind but I couldn't get anything out of my mouth. Certainly, I did not want to say something wrong or pressure her. She was obviously not in a good state right now. However, I would need to know the truth one day.

And here was I holding a possible criminal in my arms. It felt so wrong...

...but also so right

~~~
Yikes he's still alive💀
Also, sorry for not updating but I've had to rewrite some stuff and school got me very busy this week, too.