C h a p t e r T h r e e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Little Talks" By Of Monsters And Men

C h a p t e r T h r e e >

Drumming her fingers on the steering wheel Rae bobs her head along with the music pouring from her speakers. It was a long day at the diner but Graham was there to make sure she wasn’t able to fall out of sorts for long. Since the town is fairly small and along with the population, all the schools are connected making it easier for her to pick everyone up.

It’s a relief most days especially after those days that just won’t end, to have more stop before home. Letting the purposely-soothing music flow over her she closes her eyes and rolls her head side-to-side hoping to crack her neck. She’s so tense.

She really needs to let her wolf, she realizes. With the equinox coming up and the run coming into play she needs to let her out as often as possible. The full moons are always dreaded among the lycanthropes of the world. When a full moon comes into the play, especially the first one of the month, it makes for one miserable wolf. They’re locked in the body, unable to come out during those times, totally enslaved to the human side.

It was one of the reasons the run was created. Not only is it a great way for mates to find each other but also for a wolf to relieve some of its frustration. For that, Rae gets it but the rest of it? She’s rather do without.

“Rae!”

Snapping out of her thoughts she turns to see her younger sister’s crawling into the van. Poppy is wearing a huge grin on her face as she climbs in while Cassidy is wrestling with her backpack. Hudson comes up behind the youngest Applebee and helps her close her bag. He then helps Cassidy get into the van quickly before coming to sit in the front passenger with Rae.

“Cleo?” Rae asks.

Hudson just shakes his head as he puts on his seatbelt. Hudson has always been the quietest of her siblings. Always ready to help when needed but mostly keeps to himself, enjoying reading in his room or wandering in the woods on his own. Rae has always felt a kinship with him since she’s of similar temperament.

“Everyone buckled in?”

“Yes!” The girls yell in chorus making Rae roll her eyes.

As she pulls away from the school Rae spots Cleo in the parking lot with a boy, practically dry humping each other. Rae usually ignores the shit Cleo pulls, knowing it’s for reaction but this time she’s just trying to stop a niece or nephew in progress. Stopping the van near them Rae pushes down on the horn until they separate from each other. Cleo looks around until her blue eyes land on the van and glare at Rae.

“What?” Cleo yells.

“Need a ride?” Rae asks innocently.

Scowling her sister snaps at her, “No. I’m fine.”

“You sure? I have plenty of room. What about you handsome? Need a ride?”

The boy looks completely flustered, “Uh…no, I’m fine. I have my own car.”

“That’s great.” Rae grins before narrowing her eyes threateningly. “That better be all you’ll be riding while around my sister.”

“I…uh…well…I…”

“Rae!” Cleo shrieks.

Rae just blows her a kiss. “I’ll see you at home baby sis!”

Driving away Rae smiles smugly to herself. Cleo hasn’t always been this way of course. She used to be a sweet girl but after their mother’s death and their father disappearance Cleo changed. Rae gets it; she really does because she too has a hard time even three years later with it. Still that doesn’t give Cleo license to act like such a bitch, especially to her family.