C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Wastin' Time" By The Shoes

C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n >

Rae is going to vomit. At least that’s what feels like. With every step closer to the front door of the Alpha house she’s fighting the urge to bolt. It’s odd, because it’s not like the Alphas are particularly mean or strict, they just scare the crap out of her. It’s like you breaking something and your parents finding out. You know they’re going to be pissed but you’re not sure at what level of pissed off their going to be.

“Rae, it’s going to fine.” Colton tells her with a heavy sigh.

“I know.” She says quickly. “But it doesn’t mean I can’t be nervous.”

“But why are you nervous?”

“I don’t know! It’s like going to the principal's office or something.”

Colton chuckles, “I promise you won’t get detention. I have connections.”

Rae slaps his arm and gives him a weak glare, “Don’t be cute. I’m trying to have a panic attack here.”

“Well stop.”

“Yes, sir. Will do, sir.”

Colton rolls his eyes, “Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.”

“Yeah but at least I’m still witty. Now knock on the damn door so we can get this over with.”

He lifts a brow at her before shaking his head, “And people call me bossy.”

“Shut up.”

Colton smirks before knocking on the door of the Alpha house. Rae tries to keep still but the urge to start rocking on her heels or drums her hands on her legs is getting worse the longer they wait. She wasn’t to know what the Alpha wants to say to Colton but on the other hand she doesn’t want to know. You can’t forget something once you’ve heard someone say it.

Rae’s about to drop of her façade of control when the door opens. She’s unsurprised to see Alpha Julie answer the door again but this time she has a little girl balanced on her hip. The little girl, Sadie, is adorable. With her light brown hair in high set pigtails that curl at the ends and bright blue eyes Rae feels her heart melt at the sight of her. She’s always been a sucker for little girls, especially the cute ones. It’s probably why Poppy and Cassidy are as adored as they are.

“Rae!” Alpha Julie says with clear surprise before she turns her eyes towards Colton. Inclining her head a bit in respect Alpha Julie smiles tightly, “Were we expecting you both today?”

“Your Alpha told me last night he wanted to speak with me.” Colton tells her simply.

“Just you?” She asks, giving Rae a quick glance.

Colton narrows his eyes and Rae can feel the tension practically rolling off him. Squeezing his hand tightly Rae steps in, “Is the Alpha here by chance?”

“Yes.” Alpha Julie replies with her still plastered on smile, “Please come in.”

Alpha Julie steps out of the way and lets both of them inside the house. Nothings changed since her last visit but Rae is still blown away by the house. It makes her admittedly run down house look even more like a crap shack. Following the Alpha female into the living room she suddenly turns and faces them.

“I was just going to put Sadie down for a nap.” She informs them. “Rae would you like to help?”

Rae opens her mouth to respond but Colton’s cold voice cuts in, “That won’t be necessary, Alpha. Rae wishes to come into the meeting between the Alpha and myself.”