C h a p t e r N i n e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "This Years Love" By David Gray

C h a p t e r N i n e >

Rae is trying to process Colton’s bombshell when she hears the Alpha start calling for everyone’s attention. It’s a distant sound, something hard to hear through the blood rushing through her ears but still one her wolf answers to. Automatically her body move towards the Alpha’s position but her head is just in a daze of information.

Her mate is a Beta. Her mate’s father is an Alpha. Her mate will become Alpha male of his pack and she will be his Alpha female. They will run a whole pack together, side-by-side. Rae swallow thickly at the thought as panic starts to set in. She can’t be an Alpha! She can barely remember to brush her teeth in the morning!

“I’m right here.” Colton whispers in her ear as his hand tightens around hers. “I’m right here and I’m not going anywhere.”

Her body relaxes automatically at his words as she squeezes his hand back. Forcing herself to focus on the Alpha on the deck of the Alpha house she tries to put all her doubts to the side. She can let them drive her insane later, right now she’s got other things to worry about.

“Everyone, I want to start off by thank you for coming to the fall equinox and the council for allowing us to host it this year. The White Stone pack has never been more honored to host the run as a new generation of mates find each other yet again.” Alpha Kendrick says with a huge grin. “Now with that being said I would like to ask all our mated pairs to come up to the front so you may present yourselves to your fellow pack members.”

“Ah hell.” Rae mutters.

Colton smiles down at her, “What? Afraid to show me off?”

“I just don’t like being center of attention and they always cat call at these things. I don’t know about you but I really do not want to be yelled to ‘get at it’.”

Rae rolls her eyes as Colton starts laughing. She likes how big his smile is and how when he smiles really widely she can see dimples show up on his cheeks. His blue eyes crease a little at the ends with happiness but she notices it looks a bit out of practice. It seems to her that he doesn’t laugh as often as he should. The thought makes her sad to think about but she quickly resolves to fix that. He’s made her happier in the past two hours of being together than she’s been in months.

Its only fair she try to do the same for him.

“Come on.” He says with a crooked smile, “Lets get this done and then we can get to know each other more.”

“There really isn’t much more to know about me, Colton. I’m pretty boring.”

“Now that I doubt.”

Gently pulling her through the crowd Rae follows after him feeling her heart picking up speed in her chest. She wasn’t lying when she said she didn’t like being center of attention. Hell, in second grade she had to sing a solo for school choir and instead of singing she ended up vomiting on the gym floor. She doesn’t do well with eyes watching her like some kind of star attraction at the zoo.

Alpha’s Kendrick’s eyes scan over the faces of the people coming up but they stop of Rae’s face for a second too long. She watches his eyes widen as they not only take in the fact she’s mated but they nearly bug out of his skull when they see who it is she’s mate to. Yeah, she thinks with a sigh, that was a shocker for her too.