C h a p t e r T w e l v e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Dirty Paws" By Of Monsters And Men

C h a p t e r T w e l v e >

When Colton woke up that morning to the faces of two little girls he was more than a little caught off guard. He realized that Rae was still asleep and seeing her so relaxed decided not to wake her. So he beckoned the girls forward and so began one of the strangest conversations he has been involved in.

“Are you a robber?” The younger girl asks again.

Colton frowns but shakes his head as he whispers back, “No. Why would you think that?”

“Because you broke into our house but on TV they steal stuff. Did you steal anything?”

“Uh, no, I can’t say I did.”

“Poppy.” The younger girl whispers to the older one, “I don’t think he’s a robber.”

The older girl, or Poppy he supposes, rolls her big blue eyes behind her glasses. “Of course he’s not a robber. Maybe he’s a teddy bear.”

“He doesn’t look like a teddy bear.” The younger one says giving him an uncomfortably intense stare. Reaching out she pokes his bare arm. “He’s not furry like one.”

“I’m not a teddy bear.” Colton says wondering if he should just come out and say it. “Do you girls know what a mate is?”

Both of them shake their heads and Colton sighs before ruffling a hand through his hair. This just got harder to explain. Biting his lower lip he looks over at the still sleeping Rae and decides to just bite the bullet. They haven’t discussed what they are on a more conventional level but he knows what he’s going to ask her to be.

“Well I’m not a teddy bear but I’m your sister’s boyfriend.”

“How did you know we were her sisters?” Poppy asks with her hands on her hips.

Taking in their blonde hair, attitudes and matching noses Colton arches an eyebrow. It’s pretty obvious these girls are related to his Rae. Besides, what other kids would be hanging out in her house this early in the morning?

“Maybe he’s magic!” The younger girl, who he’s guessing to be Cassidy, squeals.

Rae starts to stir in the bed beside him making both him and Poppy shush Cassidy. She crosses her little arms over her chest and huffs but Colton’s eyes are already back on Rae. When she pouts her lower lip and nuzzles her face more into her pillow he relaxes knowing she’s still asleep.

“I’m not magic but you do look a lot like your sister.” Colton whispers.

Poppy scoffs before pushing up her glasses, “Tell us something we don’t know.”

“Do you have a name?” Cassidy asks.

“Colton.”

“I’m Cassidy.” She says before putting her hand out for him to shake. Colton grins as he reaches out to shake it a few times. He can see what Rae meant by saying the littler one was a bit strange. “This is my sister, Poppy.”

“Hello.” Poppy says with a wave.

“Do you girls usually come up here to wake her up?”