CHAPTER XIX

"How can I know that I could trust what you just said?"

That was the Sam's first sentence after last night. He decided to avoid Adonis and I even after breakfast. Even now, he refused to look at us. It made me feel worried, for it felt like he was breaking away from our friendship.

"You shouldn't," Adonis grinned, but somehow it looked menacing on his face. "I'm not your best friend." At that, he turned and disappeared into the halls of my home. He plans to place protections around the house and to use everything there to track my father as I spend my day normally at school.

It did feel strange to think that my father is actually someone I treated as a son. It did not change my love for him, not at all. I still want to call him my father, because it is what I remember. Maybe if I get my memories back, then I would call him the way I truly did.

For now, all that matters is finding my father. I'm sure he is still alive.

Sam silently went into his car, completely ignoring me. His aura was mixed with confusion, grief, and denial. I still could not fathom why he decided to avoid me, but I knew to not push him. With a sigh, I got into my own car just as he drives away.

By the time I had parked into the usual spot, it felt different. I highly doubt the people here knew who I was, but knowing about them changes things. I do not know what to expect and it made me nervous.

I looked around, expecting to see Sam and Amon where they usually stand during mornings. Not even Sam's car was there, even though he drove ahead of me. Maybe he had something to do first. 

After contemplation, I finally decided to walk towards the theater room. I did not want to feel strange sitting in a room knowing that it's full of people that thought of me as a threat. It had made me watch my back often and I hate that I felt that way about people who are like Sam, Carter and Amon. 

Not expecting anything, I pushed open the doors of the theater room just in time for someone to shout profanities. It made me feel rude, making me feel flushed. The person dropped something with a thud, resulting to a string of words she had said so fast that I could not understand it at all. 

The girl had a messy brunette head matching with olive skin. She had glasses framing her small face, covering her dark eyes. At the sight of me, her mouth gaped slightly and her eyes widened. Beneath the bright spotlight of the theater and all the mess she looked like she was in, I can't help but notice her raw beauty with her flushed cheeks. She dropped the books she was carrying and she scrambled to pick them up again. I raced down the aisle to help her and she glanced at me nervously.

By the time I got there, she was already picking up the fourth out of the seven books. I bent to pick up the remaining books with her glancing up nervously at me. She stood straight as I  handed her the books. 

"T-thank you, L-Luna." She whispered so softly, I almost did not hear it. I smiled at her, noticing that she was a lot shorter than me. 

"Luna?" I asked, wondering where she got the idea of calling me that. It was too much of an error to be an accident. 

"Oh! Uh..." She nervously shifted her sight. She looked like she was finding the words to tell me.

"Oh, it's alright." I smiled, not wanting her to become more uncomfortable. "I'm Alina. It's nice to meet you." 

"I know." She peered through her glasses for a moment. "I'm really sorry," She bowed deeply despite the books she carried, making two of them fall. I picked them up before she could. I wondered why she apologized, she did nothing wrong.

"I'll help you carry these to wherever you're going." I offered, but she suddenly looked pale. 

"No, please!" She begged, making me furrow my eyebrows. Why did she have to look so scared? I looked down, feeling miserable. Did Sam already tell everyone else of his family about me? 

"I insist." I said softly. She paused to stare at my face, looking sweaty. She shook her head, making her hair look even messier. She took the books forcefully from my hand, making me more upset than I already am. 

"I'm sorry." She said sincerely, making me think for a moment that it was not me that she feared. She started running towards the door when I grabbed her shoulder. 

"Can I at least know your name?" I asked and she blinked as if she could not believe what I just said. 

"Maize." She whispered and turned her back to me but I wanted to ask her another question.

"Are you the one who plays the piano late after school?" I stared at her as she looked back at me with her mouth agape. She opened and closed her mouth multiple times, not knowing what to say. Finally, she looked down and ran away. It only left me the assumption that it was actually her. 

"So now you know, huh?" Carter looked rather amused, like he wanted me to know about it in the first place. It was completely different from what Sam's reaction had been. "What do you think?" Gesturing to himself with a small smile. 

"Honestly, I do not even know what werewolves are." I sighed, drinking from the bottle of water Carter handed to me. I looked at my food with disdain about the day. It was only slightly better when Carter showed up. "Except that you turn into wolves at will, have superior senses and live long lives." Remembering Adonis' words.

"Those descriptions are pretty much us, honestly." He laughed. "And you don't think those facts are already plenty weird?" Carter almost laughed and I looked at him. "Especially the turning-into-wolves part?" 

"Should I?" I asked curiously. It didn't feel like that at all. Somehow, deep inside me it felt like I had already encountered them before. 

Carter laughed loudly, making me feel the stares I've been getting. I've been getting curious stares today, instead of  hostile looks. "No, I guess not." Carter shook his head in amusement and continued ravishing his lunch. 

"Did Sam tell you anything?" I finally asked. I was trying not to be too curious about him, but I could not help myself. The guy did not come to school after he got out of my house. Of course, since he's not here, neither is Amon. 

"Just that you now know our identities." Carter paused to chew on the big chunk he just bit off. "He told us that we're not allowed to know yours, though." His face contorted into curiosity as he chewed. That is strange. I had assumed since this was Sam's family, he would tell them everything. "So, even though everyone including me is curious as hell, you must never tell us." Carter advised me seriously. 

I only nodded in reply, not able to say anything else. Thoughts of last night's talk filled my mind to the brim, but it got me nowhere. They were still in a mess, unorganized. I knew it was because I cannot decide which one to think about first.

"Do you know anyone here named Maize?" I decided to ask the easiest question to ask. Carter paused, looking at me with a strange look.

"You saw her?"  

"I was wondering why she looked so scared when I came close to her." I bit down on an apple. "I only wanted to help her." I cast a worried and upset look at Carter.

"Don't be upset, Alina. It's just the way she is." Carter patted my shoulder. 

"Why is that?" 

"There are rankings in the pack." Carter explained, tracing an invisible triangle with his finger. "While Sam is at the top of the pack, the girl you met is at the bottom." He said, tapping specific spots on the invisible triangle. "That's why he could tell all of us what to do," Carter's fingers swiped the shape from top to bottom. "And the wolves at the bottom are naturally submissive. They are not supposed to talk unless spoken to, not show up unless called, and not to take any help from any higher ranking people."

"Why am I higher than her? I am not even part of your pack." 

"Almost." Carter grinned, making me stare. 

"You're going to turn me into a werewolf?" I asked, not sure I would like the idea of that. It felt as if they were going to rob me of that decision. 

"No, of course not!" Carter chuckled. "I can't believe Sam didn't tell you yet," He sighed in mocking disappointment. 

"You're his mate, Alina."