CHAPTER XXIII

"--up! Alina, it's just a nightmare! Wake up!"

I opened my eyes to see two green orbs staring straight at me. Unclasping my hands on the sheets, I followed the strong urge to wrap my arms around Sam. I could feel my hair sticking to my skin as sweat dripped down my body. My body was shaking uncontrollably as I felt the fear run through my veins. 

"It's okay. You're okay. I'm here." Sam assured me repeatedly in a soft and gentle voice while rubbing the back of my head and hugging me close to him. As seconds pass by, I began to feel weak and I let myself slump into his arms. I notice the moon was almost setting.

"What happened?" I asked, my voice strangely raspy. Sam carefully pulled me away slightly for him to look at my face. 

"You were screaming as you slept." He whispered, wiping away the hair that stuck on my forehead. 

"I was?" I asked, mostly to myself rather than to him. "But I do not remember anything." 

He looked at me like I had said the strangest thing. 

"I'm sorry," I said as I unhinged myself from him. My sweat had made his clothes wet and I believe my arms wrapped around much too tightly around him. "I..."

A sharp knock echoed sharply around the room. 

Sam stood up and went to his dresser to grab a towel for me to use. "It might be news from your house." He quickly crossed the room and opened his mahogany door. I began to wipe the stickiness off of my skin.

Amon came into the room and looked shocked as his eyes landed on me. "Man, you're a mess." He joked as they walked towards me, I looked at my disheveled state in embarrassment. Sam sat beside me on the side of the bed, giving Amon a warning look to which he replied with a laugh and his hands up. 

Sam gently started helping me wipe myself. "I can do it," I smiled at him, stopping his hand. I did not want to cause him any more trouble. Sam simply nodded at me and dropped his arms, facing Amon.

"Tell us what you saw." 

"By the time we got there, multiple demons had appeared around the house." Amon started, making me inhale sharply. "We couldn't get closer, we can't even see who was inside the house. So, we waited it out. Our current numbers were not fit to fight off a hundred class C demons." 

"What happened to Adonis?" I could not help but ask the only question that rang inside my mind. 

Amon tilted his head lightly to the side. "After a few minutes, every demon at a five mile radius was gone. No one was left inside, we searched." 

"Are you certain?" I asked, my voiced laced with horror. Has Adonis disappeared on me as well?

"We searched the perimeter, too." Amon shook his head, further making me worry. "We did pick up a nasty scent." He paused, shuddering lightly. "Greater demon." 

Not entirely sure why, but I wondered if my true self will ever smell that way to Sam. Would it repulse him as much as a greater demon's scent has disgusted Amon?

"Alright. Thanks, bro." Sam stood and tapped Amon's shoulder, dismissing him. Amon nodded to him and smiled at me sympathetically before going out of the door. 

"Do you think he will be back?" I asked in a soft voice, staring at my hands. "He is the closest to a family I know, aside from my father." I realized, not waiting for answer. I felt horrible and afraid that the same thing would happen to Adonis. "Maybe... Maybe I should have stayed. Maybe I could have counted on my true se--"

"No." Sam interrupted, placing his fingers beneath my chin and making me face him. "Your true self must still be sealed away." He explained, searching my eyes. "You cannot use anything of that part of yourself. Just like how pups are, before they start to shift."