CHAPTER VI

Alina had fun as Carter pulled her through their 'date'. Though for her, it really was just a tour. She thought Carter is kind and talkative. He cheered her up when everyone was looking at her like she murdered someone. Alina was glad Ramona entrusted her to Carter. 

The lunch break cut off their tour, but it was alright since there was only the theater room left. Carter was beaming when they went back to the room. He was obviously glad that he was close to the most beautiful girl in school.

The classes went by as usual, everyone still glaring at Alina's back. She was still uncomfortable but she tried her best to brush it off. When Carter finally informed her that classes are finished, Alina stood up immediately. Carter laughed at her excitement to go home.

"Hey, I'm sorry I have to go somewhere right now." Carter apologized with a sad face. He was called by his parents. It wasn't urgent, but Carter would rather not disobey his parents. Alina smiled understandingly, knowing she was being a burden to Carter by being one of his responsibilities. Carter left, waving Alina goodbye.

Alina walked towards the front of the school to get to her car. There weren't a lot of people in the halls. She wondered if they already went home or they haven't got out of their rooms yet. She did not bother to look at the classrooms through the small door windows. She'll just be met with glares.

Alina soon arrived in front of the school, letting the sunlight caress her skin. She sees some of the students already out, talking to each other on their way home. She wondered if she would ever have a girl friend. Carter is a great friend, but is it impossible for her to have a friend of the same gender? She thought. She sighed, tucking her hair behind her ear. The heat was already making her sweat. As she did, however, she didn't know a lot of the boys were looking at her sweat clad perfect skin.

As she arrived in front of her car that Ramona gave her, even when she protested. It was still embarrassing for her because she wasn't used to people giving her gifts. The only material gift she had received from her father was a small music box when she turned seven. Even so, she was satisfied and she loved it with all her heart.

Beside her car, an even sleeker white car was parked. She did not notice this earlier in the morning. She was about to open her car when a thin hand closed the door. This made Alina look towards the owner of the hand. She was just as tall as Alina but she made herself intimidating. It was Elaine. Elaine and her friends smiled at her smugly and quite evilly.

"Hey, new girl." Elaine greeted as she withdrew her hand. "Who exactly are you?" She smiled and cocked her head in a threatening manner.

"I am Alina Imenand." Alina said slowly. "Um, nice to meet you. You're Elaine, right?" Elaine smirked at that. She liked how the new girl already knew her. She should know who's the queen here, Elaine thought.

"Yeah, so?" Elaine started to poke Alina's shoulder. "Anyway, what is a human like you doing here?" Elaine harshly poked Alina this time and Alina had her back pressed on her car. The girls with Elaine laughed with high pitches.

Alina began to think. She wondered what Elaine meant when she said 'a human like you'. Did she mean the fact that Alina was isolated all her life? Alina frowned at the thought. She believed there was nothing wrong with that.

"Answer me!" Elaine screamed at her face. Alina visibly flinched away, making the girls laugh at her. She noticed there wasn't anyone helping her even when they looked at her or blatantly stared at the scene. Alina wondered if this was bullying and if it was tolerated in this school.

"My father." Alina started. "He said I would be going here from now on." Alina looked straight at Elaine's eyes to let her know she was telling the truth. Alina balled her fists at the distaste of Elaine's bullying.