xix

nineteen | crystal

I was awakened with kisses and sweet talk. I hadn't even fully come to my senses, but here I was, giggling and wrapping my arms around a source.

A warm body cuddled close, comfort settling into me just as his cologne settled in my sheets.

"I missed you," he sighed.

"You know I hate when you try to pillow talk when I just woke up," I reminded him.

He kissed his teeth. "Your breath be kickin', even after you brush your teeth. You think I care?"

I didn't hesitate to mush his face, soft laughter slipping past his lips.

"It is too early for you to be playin' comedian," I said.

His chuckles subsided while he repetitively kissed my cheek. "But, nah, for real. I missed you. You ain't even call a nigga, last night."

"Uh, what part of girls' night do you not understand?" I nearly laughed.

He did his favorite thing, and that was kissing his teeth. "A'ight, but if I was wit' my boys, you'd be ready to burn shit down, if I didn't call."

"That's because your boys are fuckin' crazy... and don't give a fuck that you're in a relationship."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You know what it means. They be pawnin' bitches off on you and encouraging you to do dumb shit wit' em."

He scoffed. "Even if that was the case, mamas, you know I hold you down, wherever I'm at."

"Yeah, yeah," I playfully rolled my eyes while he kissed my neck.

"What'd you and Tiff get up to, last night?"

I sighed deeply, glancing at my alarm clock. I would have to start gettin' ready for work soon.

"Oh, you know— movies and girl talk," I answered.

"Hm," was all he said, his lips following the familiar path toward my sweet spot.

"Tiff let you in, right?" the mentioning of her reminded me to ask such a question.

"Yeah, I caught her just as she was headed out for school," he answered, his hands suddenly growing busy.

I rolled my eyes. This nigga was not trying to get something started before I go off to work. I just knew he wasn't.

I started to push him off and was met with questioning and resistance. Of course.

"Yo, what's up?"

"I gotta' get ready for work," I answered while sitting up.

"I got my own work I'm tryna' tend to, baby," his arm wrapped around me as he reinstated some variation of closeness.

"Mace, you know how important it is for me not to fuck up at this job, and that includes being late. I don't need to give Joe anymore reasons to think I'm a bad employee."

"We all know you aren't one though, especially Joe," he assured me.

"Ever since the whole detective thing, I don't think that's the case anymore."

"Oh, come on," he gently caressed my face. "You're the best thing to ever happen to that place."

"None of that matters anymore. He doesn't trust me," I shook my head.

"What makes you so sure of that?"

I scoffed. "The nigga cut my wages, and you know he be forcin' mad overtime on me."