xxxviii

thirty eight | ishaan

"Thanks again for agreeing to help, man," I told Will, my hand clasping his as we bumped shoulders.

"It's nothing. It's just good to see you not couch-surfing anymore," he nodded.

I nearly laughed, "I'm sayin' though."

The slam of a heavy door averted my gaze to the tower of bricks that housed hundreds of Brooklynites. Emerging from the interior was Autumn, toting the last duffel bag of my belongings.

I leaned off of Will's car, meeting my luggage halfway.

"See, I knew you forgot a bag," Autumn huffed just before being relieved of the weight.

"My bad, baby. I should've known you were right," I placed the strap of the bag on my shoulder just before joining hands with her.

"Hey, Autumn," Will greeted with a wave.

"Hey, Will," she smiled as we approached the vehicle.

"How have you been?" conversation began between the two as Will opened the trunk of his car.

"I've been good! How are you? I like your chain," she complimented.

I tossed the last of my belongings in the trunk and slammed it shut as they went on about his Four Pillars pendant.

I had to admit that it was a nice piece of jewelry, and it had to have costed a pretty penny too. Matter of fact— with these new rims and this new paint job on his car, he seemed to be putting his money toward all the things he'd spent years talking about getting.

That Eudora money was doin' right by the crew. Pretty soon, I'd have a car too and wouldn't have to rely on Will to transport me anymore, let alone help me move into my new crib.

I still needed to review my budget with a fine tooth comb— with Autumn's help— but with more money than I knew what to do with, I'd still be pretty set after buying whatever car I desired.

Shit, after I get something to drive, I won't need anything else really... So, that only leaves one more thing to purchase.

"So, you gonna' be movin' in too or what?" Will smiled slightly at Autumn.

"Oh, unh-uh," she shook her head with a giggle, "this is all Ishaan."

"Not for long," I interjected, stealing her attention.

A smile melted onto her face before she raised a hand to block my view of her. With her palm overlaying my sight, she said, "Anyways!"

I chuckled while following her into the backseat of Will's car. Will took his role as chauffeur with a laugh, and within seconds, we were on our way to Manhattan.

Autumn and Will talked the whole way there. What began as small talk quickly morphed into an elaborate conversation about jazz records.

It was kinda' cool seeing them get along, especially since a lot of times, Autumn and I like to remain in our own world. It was rare that we interacted with anyone outside of us, only when it was necessary.

I'd only speak with Simone if Autumn was busy and I was trying to get through to her. Meanwhile, Autumn was oftentimes too busy to really engage with anybody in my crew.

With studio sessions taking place when she's either on the clock or on a homework bender, it was nearly impossible to find a time to introduce her to Cris and Tony.

Maybe that'd change, in a couple of weeks, once the semester was over.

But Will, he always had time on his hands somehow. It was no telling what he was actually doing, but with Vonny still seeing him on occasion (at least that's what she told me once), he was sure to make his rounds through the boroughs.