xi

eleven | ishaan

I picked up my walking pace once Will came into my line of sight.

Having just gotten out of my art class, I was toting my sketch book in hand while my bookbag remained hinged on my back.

Usually, on a day like today, I'd be heading to Joe's to pick up Crystal so we could take advantage of her lunch hour. However, Will paged me, insisting that our hour would be better spent at Tony's.

I didn't debate, already having quite a few pages of rhymes ready to be recorded. The only thing I worried about was Crystal. Even if we basically kidnapped her so she could lay a verse, she was so adamant about not being a rapper that she probably wouldn't have anything prepared.

And, last I checked, freestyling wasn't her steez... but Will assured me that she was good to go— with the group and with her rhymes. It didn't seem like it to me, since she called herself flaking on us, last time, but whatever.

"Yo, where you been at? I can't even get a hold of you on the phone, son!" Will called once I was in earshot.

I kissed my teeth. "Moms restricted my phone privileges."

An obnoxious "ha!" slipped out of Will before he could stop himself.

"For what?" Once we were in arm's reach, a brief handshake was shared.

"I ran up the bill talking to Autumn all night," I answered while reestablishing personal space.

My hand glided over my freshly cut hair. With my waves still intact and the crispiness of my fade being reinstated, my confidence had been boosted into the stratosphere.

I couldn't wait to scoop Autumn for our date tonight. It was gonna' be a night out club-hoppin'. Although it took a bit of convincing since we both share an 8 A.M. class tomorrow, she finally agreed to join me for a night out.

We'd probably end the night at Club Five just so she can see how I'm the man in there, and I can impress her a bit.

We could get our drink on too, now that I got a new fake I.D. fresh off the New Jersey presses of Louise.

More laughter spilled out of Will as we stood on the block, chopping it up. "Damn, son, this girl must got you on some other shit."

"Other shit like what?" my eyebrow shot up.

"Like you being whipped!"

"Nah, B. It ain't even like that," I shook my head.

"What's it like then?" he inquired.

I chuckled, trying to stall him while I figured out what to say.

"You know... she's just the latest catch," I shrugged.

"Oh, really?" Will's eyebrows shot to the sky as if he didn't believe me.

And rightfully so, because I was lying my ass off.

"Yeah," I nodded. "You know I can't be tied down to nothin'."

He snickered, his laughter beginning to sound like quacking while he punched me in the arm. "I gotta' hand it to you, kid. You've gotten better at lying."

I kissed my teeth yet again, warding off a laugh while the door to the business we stood in front of swung open. Out of it came Crystal with her purse clutched tight in her grip as usual.

"Bout time!" I said, glad that her arrival would relieve me from the hot seat.

"Sorry, y'all. Joe was tryna' hold me up on some bullshit," she murmured while leading the way down the block without hesitancy.