xxviii

twenty eight | crystal

"I thought you said you was done wit' this nigga, Cris," Antonio's voice was calm despite his name being carved into a bullet as he spoke.

"Well, you thought wrong, G," Maceo spoke for me.

Antonio's eyes averted from Maceo with a bored expression. His eyes landed right on me, scanning my attire— a camisole and sweatpants— briefly before staring right into my eyes.

"The group needs you," he said.

"If the group needs her so bad, why are you the only one here? Huh?" Maceo inquired.

"Why don't you mind your fuckin' business?"

"Nigga—"

"Alright!" I interjected.

Both men shut the fuck up.

"I know the group has a lot goin' on right now, but so do I, Tony," I explained.

"We all got a lot goin' on, Cris," he reminded me.

Maceo spoke on my behalf once again. "It ain't about y'all. See, Cris. This is exactly what I be talkin' about."

"Mace—"

"They don't give a fuck about you. All they care about is what you can do for them," Maceo shook his head with his gun remaining raised.

Antonio never took his eyes off of me, not even bothering to acknowledge Mace this time.

"Cris... This is our shot... No more of this life— no more of that other shit to get some bread."

My most recent encounter with Joe flashed through my mind at even the most subtle referencing Antonio had done.

I could feel a ball forming in my throat while my eyes stung with oncoming tears. "No more?"

"Maybe... but we'll never know unless you—"

"Nah! Cris ain't goin' nowhere," Maceo barked.

"A'ight. You startin' to annoy me now, nigga," Antonio said.

I told Maceo to lower his gun.

"Nah, fuck that, Cris. This nigga thinks he can just pop up over here. He must have a death wish," his words became more stern.

"Maceo," I called softly, and it was only after I pleaded for his attention again that his eyes found me.

And as soon as his head turned, Antonio drew his own gun.

"Bitch ass nigga," he muttered with the kiss of his teeth.

"Crystal, come on. Let's go," Antonio nodded toward the door.

"Cris ain't goin' nowhere, and I'll murk you before I let you leave with her," Maceo said.

Antonio antagonized him. "Do it then, bitch."

I quickly moved between both men, shouting that they weren't about to do shit, and that I would see to it that they weren't.

They shared an intense stare, both of their fingers settled on triggers.

"Cris, you better get this nigga out before I paint these walls red," Maceo cut through the eerie silence.

"If you were gonna shoot me, you would've done it already," Antonio retorted.

"Tony, shut the fuck up!" I hissed.

Was the nigga really trying to get killed? He must've really had a death wish.