Chapter 22. Act

Am I looking good? Should I shave a bit more or keep some stubble? What about my hair? Should I have gotten a different hairstyle? Is there any time life to get showered once more?

"Oye, Ved! What are you doing inside for so long, man? Come out!" Nikhil yelled from outside while pounding his fists on my washroom's door.

"I am busy!" I shouted.

"What the hell are you doing for the last forty minutes?! Don't tell me you are reading those types of magazines all by yourself!"

"You are a pervert, not me. Now go and keep Ayush and Veer company. I will join you guys after I am done."

"Seriously? I know you are enjoying yourself inside," Nikhil joked, and I rolled my eyes when I heard his footsteps fading.

I would have gutted him for teasing me, but checking whether I looked fine was more important at the moment. I ran my hands on my scalp, the small bristle like hair stroking my fingers.

Not that my current hairstyle was bad, but I missed my curly locks too. A lot of past memories, both good and bad, were attached to the huge canopy of dark brown curls I sported earlier. The reason why I cut them off was because, A. My vision didn't get blocked unnecessarily while playing, and B. my hair reminded me of my mother, who had the same hair as mine.

Dad also had curls but his were not as prominent as mine and Mom's. I had inherited the trait from her, and I was proud of it. Still, the painful memories always resurfaced, so I thought it better to chop them off. Also, there was a girl who couldn't get enough of making fun of my unique hairstyle.

And for that girl only, I was standing in front of the mirror, doubting whether I looked presentable enough or not. I had invited her to my house, so I had to be at my best behaviour.

You are worrying too much, Ved. No matter what you do, Sandhya is going to see you as Ved only. You won't suddenly become a ball of sunshine for her only because she is coming here for group studies.

But I can at least try!

I checked my reflection once more and exited the washroom. I muted my overthinking mind and threw on a plain baby pink t-shirt and black joggers. The clothes were simple and super comfortable. I checked the time and took my phone when I saw that Sandhya hadn't yet arrived.

I saw if I had sent her the correct address and tapped my foot anxiously as I doubted if something would go wrong. I shook my head when I felt myself zoning out and went to my study cum play room. Ayush and Nikhil were playing foosball, while Veer was building his mini train station.

I helped my brother, my eyes continuously checking the wall clock as the time of Sandhya's arrival seemed to be getting longer and longer.

What if she decides not to come at all? Maybe she changed her decision at the last moment and felt like spending her precious time with that Priyaank or Sahil instead? How could Sandy Pandy prioritise those guys over her studies? Should I call her? Or better check myself where she-

Ring! Ring! Ring!

I picked up the landline phone, and the moment I heard that Sandhya had arrived, I looked out of my window. I could catch only a small glimpse of her as she had already reached the parking lot on her scooter.

Thank god she didn't bail out on me.

"What happened, Ved?" Ayush asked.

Time to start my acting. Sorry, Ayush.

I concealed my huge smile and turned around with a blank face. I pointed at the window and went back beside my brother.

"The guards informed me that Sandhya is here," I said in a plain tone.