Chapter 16. Get a grip

"It's time for lunch. Let's go."

After our team lead announced that, we dropped our tools and stretched our limbs. Multiple groans erupted within seconds and the whole ground echoed with the tired voices of the students toiling under the harsh sun. My teammates moved to go to their rooms to get cleaned up, and Karthik nudged me, but I told him to go ahead.

One by one, the students left, but I stayed behind to keep an eye on a person - an idiot who loved to show off. The whole field got empty, but that long-haired baffoon was still spading like her life depended on it. I waited and observed her.

Her forehead was lined with sweat beads, some of them running down the sides of her face as few hung from her eyebrows. Her clothes were drenched, but she looked unaware of it. She was physically here, but her mind was somewhere else.

Let's count to ten and see whether she will come out of her imaginary land or not. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

I trudged towards her and grabbed the shovel from her hand. The action took her by surprise, but it took her a minute to realise where she was. She furrowed her eyebrows more and looked at me in confusion when I asked her if she liked to show off so much; she still didn't get what I meant.

What was she thinking about so seriously? Why does her face look so dull? Maybe it is because of hunger.

"Are you planning on digging the whole ground by yourself?" I asked.

She blinked rapidly - finally, her brain started working.

She shook her head and when I reminded her of the lunch break, she narrowed her eyes at me. I kept my face stoic; it was hard to do but I had years of experience in that. Sandhya slowly moved her eyes away and turned on her heels. While going, she glimpsed over her shoulder with a glint of doubt.

Was that close? Yes, it was too close. I am sure she is confused about my behaviour. But what can I do? I still don't know what I am supposed to do in this situation.

Well, there is a lot of time to worry about it later. For now, let's take care of my growling stomach. I need to freshen up too. Hope my glutton friends haven't finished off the whole buffet.

I quickly went to my room and removed all the dirt from my body. It felt really good. In ten minutes, I was out and ready to join my troop. The smell of delicious food made my mouth water, so I increased my pace. I didn't waste any time and took a plate. I filled it to the brim and roamed my eyes around for my gang.

Parth waved his hand at me, and I was about to return the gesture when I heard that familiar sound again. I snapped my eyes to my left and noticed Sandhya giggling. She moved her hands animatedly and said something, to which the guy beside her nodded and smiled.

Priyaank, right?

Change of plans. Sorry, Parth, I will eat with you later.

Without looking at my friends, I reached Sandhya's spot in a snap and glanced between her and her team leader. She didn't notice my presence. When I saw her lean towards Priyaank to hear what he was saying, I grabbed her head and turned it towards her plate.

"Eyes on the food, Sandhya."

I sat down on her right side and shook my head on seeing her plate. She was so busy giving googly eyes to Priyaank that she hadn't even completed half of her meal. She complained of me sitting beside her, and I gave her a flat look.

"Go to your own team," she grumbled.

"Why? It isn't like your name is written on the table," I said.

She glared at me but sighed. She didn't argue and ate after I scolded her. I also dug in my meal, and it was awesome. It didn't take me much time to finish it off. I thought of getting an extra serving when Mahek decided to interrupt me.