4. Affairs of the Heart

The sun pierced through August's blinds and turned my back trying to run from it. I reached out on top of the nightstand feeling for my phone then realizing it was not there. I slowly opened my eyes, to the ceiling, then it hit me that it wasn't mine. 

I jumped up against the headboard, groaning remembering I had not only slept with August but now had to do the walk of shame. 

"Oh, my Goddd. No Banks." I murmured to myself pulling the blanket tighter to my body, looking at the only article of clothes I had on which was my watch. 

"Great 9:41," I said grumpily looking for my phone around the messy room, compliments of August - who in fact wasn't there.

Then it hit me that it was indeed 9:41 on a weekday. "Oh my God, It's almost 10, I'm late." I sucked my teeth frantically looking around the condo for my phone picking up my panties in the process pulling them closely into my chest. 

I went into his bathroom looking at myself in the mirror disgusted, disappointed, and just downright sad. I had put my feelings over my mind and gave my heart what she wanted. Knowing the heart isn't always right even though she wants what she wants. 

I quickly pulled up my underwear and dreaded squeezing back into that dress I had on, nibbling on my lip. I threw it on the sink, walking towards August's Closet. 

"His house is in a mess but this man's closet is fully put together, why am I not surprised.." touching a sneaker on his wall. I pulled open one of his drawers taking out a wife beater and pulling one of his flannel shirts.  Walking out remembering I didn't have on pants.

I scoffed heading back into the closet when I stepped on something. "Ow! Damn." I shouted lifting the bottom of my foot seeing it was a tiny diamond earring. I held it in my fingers, moving it back and forth before I placed it on top of one of the dressers. 

They say it's the intuition of a woman but I think sometimes women get in there own way because of there previous experiences and often can't tell the two apart. I stared at it wondering if it was hers. Then I exhaled, remembering he had came alone to LA. Now I freed that space in my mind for me to wonder if it was another woman's.

I paced his closet fighting the urge to go through his things, wondering if I was fighting the old toxic ways that I preach about now. Respecting his boundaries and respecting myself I left his things untouched.

 I stood still, coaching myself to trust even though he hadn't given me a new reason to, all I was feeling was based on our old flame, but what about him was new- that I didn't know drove me crazy. I paused when I heard the front door unlocking and opening. I stood in the bathroom door way waiting for him to come inside.

"Banx.." He said hovering over the bed, when he saw that it was empty. 

"Hi." I said softly leaning my head onto the frame. 

He turned his head in my direction smiling , while taking off his jacket. 

"Good morning gorgeous. I thought you left me." He said walking up to me wrapping his hand around my neck and running his other hand thru my hair, kissing me. 

He pulled away staring at me, gliding his pinky over my chin and I just didn't know what to say. "I missed waking up to you so much. I looked over at you this morning and I just laid there looking at you for a lil bit. I thought to myself damn I made a big mistake letting you go. The thought of another man having that view everyday pssssh. It made me sick just to think about it."  He smiled. " I'm never doing that again."

I blushed pulling away from him, walking towards the bed.

"What, looking at me? You've had enough for a lifetime?" I teased.