1.Second Fiddle

"What makes a person worthy to be loved by you?" Kimberly sauntered, fondling with her fingers in her lap as I questioned her. 

"I honestly don't know Doc..." She admitted. "I've loved Felix wholeheartedly for years. I don't know a version of myself that hasn't loved him. He has hurt me relentlessly for years with his careless and selfish choices and I just can't come to terms with it." She uttered with breathy whimpers escaping her lips.

I put down my pen leaning into her. "Let's think about how people tell us all the time what and how they feel about us with their actions. Has he initiated any reconciliation between you two over the past months? You guys have be broken up for almost a year now Kim.." 

She slowly shook her head." No. It's like everything that we were just doesn't exist anymore. I gave him all my teenage years. I thought we'd be getting married by now. I'm about to be 30 and single with nothing to show for it! How could he do this to me." She began crying and I comforted her handing her a tissue.

"You have to come to terms with the end of the relationship Kim, before you can even begin to heal and rehash old feelings. I need you to take this anger and turn it into passion towards yourself. You need to spend some time with yourself and think about where you went wrong so that you can learn from you mistakes and not make them again. It's okay to feel hurt, disappointed and betrayed, but if you let it consume you he wins. You're allowed to feel all your emotions but you have to stop leaving a space in your head for him to come back.." I said.

She blew her nose out in the tissue, nodding in agreement. 

"I want you to go home, and get some rest. We will continue our session on Wednesday."

She sniffled, grabbing her purse. "My mom says I should burn all of his clothes and other stuff he has in our condo, but I just can't look in the closet without crying." 

"You don't have to do that if your not ready to Kim. It's about how you feel and dealing with your feelings one day at a time. Burning his belongings is probably only going to make your mother feel better and give you some short term satisfaction, but I doubt it will change anything." I suggested.

"Yeah..you're right. I'm really glad that I followed my gut and chose you, I know you're young but everything Addison said about you was true. Thank you so much." She said hugging me.

I smiled, feeling confident that my services were going to bring forth a change in her behavior. "I'll see you on Wednesday and please let me know how you launch goes this week."

"Okay I will." She said exiting my office.

"Kelsey? Can you please call Mrs. Hughley and schedule her session tomorrow for 10:00 AM instead of 9. I promised Alex I'd come to his anniversary party tonight."

"Okay no problem." She responded, and I hang up the intercom.

Alex was my friend from High school, he met Angel in University and proposed to her 3 years ago. Sometimes I look at them and wonder why that hasn't happened to me yet, or if i'm keeping myself too buried in work and closed off from love.

I rang the doorbell, fixing my hair as I heard the music coming from inside the apartment. "Banks!" Angel said as she pulled me into her warm embrace welcoming me inside.

"You look so good girl!" She complimented me as she showed me into the kitchen. 

"No you look so pretty I felt like I haven't seen you in forever too." I said putting the wine down on the countertop.  

"Where Alex?" I asked looking around at the food. "It smells so good in here."

"He's outside with  everybody leaving me to the work in the kitchen. Girl can you believe he got a DJ, he's been talking about this DJ for weeks."