knocked // porter

"Fuck, I can't do anymore." I groan as I lean back into my chair, stretching my back and arms out. School has been getting harder, and frankly, I don't want to go anymore, nor do the work. Even waking up on time is a struggle.

"What even is a residual? How do I even find the standard deviation... and what the fuck is y-hat?" I sat upright again and yawned, looking at Austin, who bit his lip and stared at me blankly. "Uhh... Google it?" he suggested with a shrug of his shoulders.

I smiled at my phone screen before rolling my eyes. "Wow, you're so helpful. I'll deal with stats later. It's starting to hurt." He ruffled his hair and readjusted himself on his bed before smirking.

"If it hurts, let me make you feel better."

"No, babe, I need to focus. Thanks to you getting me sick, I have two days of work to make up. I have to get this shit done."

I rub my eyes before sliding my math book to the side and replacing it with my AP US History book and some sheets of paper. I sighed before starting my reading, halfway listening to Austin talk about his day with the boys.

"So then Zion grabbed the lightsaber and started swinging it around... the stand... had to set up.." I nodded my head as I felt my eyes feeling heavier than they did before I started reading. My head lowered into my left palm as I wrote notes and mumbled aloud in an effort to stay up.

"Race riots in Montgomery, Alabama were in response to... in response.." I slid my head down my arm and let my grip around my pen loosen. Sleep quickly consumed my being as soon as my head laid on the table and closed my eyes.

"Y/N, there's a spider on your desk!! Get up!"

My glossy eyes snapped open and I pushed myself away from my desk, checking my clothes for said insect. "Fuck, where'd it go? Was it big?" I asked while my eyes darted across my papers. Austin's stifled laughter quickly converted my silent panic into a sour expression.

"Porter, why would you do that??" I exhaled deeply before rolling my chair forward and running my hands over my face, feeling my heartbeat slow back down. "Because you told me to keep you up until you finish. Just call it a night and I can come over and cuddle with you."

I looked at him through my low lids with a disapproving look for a moment before my smile cracked through. "Fine."

"Don't fall asleep, okay? Give me 10 minutes."

porter ; pov

Before I drove to y/n's house, I went to buy some snacks and coffee from the convenience store. I checked my watch and realized her parents would not be happy to see my car coincidentally in front of their house at 1 am. So I parked a few houses down before hopping out. As I approached her driveway, I realize that I've never snuck in before. Well, there's a first time for everything, right?

I walked further down the side of y/n's house, looking for anything that'd help me get into her window. I hoisted myself onto the recycling bin, being wary of how wobbly it was. I wouldn't be surprised if my clumsy ass fell and blew this whole plan.

When I peeked into her window, she was still up with one hand holding her head up while the other scribbled away. She was wearing one of my sweatshirts, her hair in a messy bun with a scarf tied around her head. I could tell she was running on fumes the way her head kept dipping down. My baby was spent.

"Juliet. Where art thou, Juliet?" I whispered lowly through her cracked window. Y/n's head swiveled around and smiled big. "You're risking your life by being here at this time." I swiftly made my way through the window as she held it open.

"I know, but I brought you some snacks," I replied as I laid them out on her bed. After closing her window, y/n walked over to me and threw her arms around my neck. "Thank you, you're so sweet." She quickly kissed me and grabbed the coffee and sour gummies before sitting back at her desk. "So what was your plan B? Just keep me sugared up until I crash?"

I took my shoes off before making myself comfortable on her mattress and admired her side profile. "I honestly had no plan. I'll do whatever I can to keep you up for as long as I can," I admitted with a smile.

"Well, you have your work cut out for you."

It's currently 2:27 am, and I barely have y/n hanging on by a thread. I've shown her Twitter memes and edits I liked made by some of our fans. I made my voice crack, which always made her giggle, but that led to me hiding in the closet when her mom came into her room to see why she was still up at this hour.

She ate the snacks I brought and was down to her last sips of coffee an hour ago, so I don't know what else could help her. She's almost done and could easily finish it in the morning, but I know how y/n is. She won't go to sleep until she's done everything she was supposed to.

"Y/n?"

"Austin?"

"How much do you have left?" I asked as a yawn slipped out.

"Just a few more problems and I'll be done. Maybe 15 minutes." Upon hearing that answer, Austin rolled off of y/n's bed, peeled her sheets back, and shuffled over to her desk. He snatched the pencil from her hand and tossed it into her stats book before closing the page.

"You've been nodding off for the past 20 minutes. You probably aren't even registering what you're working on. Just finish in the morning." Y/n reached to open the book again, but I spun her chair around and scooped her up before she could object.

"You were supposed to call it quits when I arrived, anyway," I teased as I rolled my eyes. I turned her desk lamp off and walked towards her bed, lying her down. I slipped my sweatshirt off and slid under the blankets with y/n.

She rolled out her shoulders with a dragged out sigh and turned towards me to lay on my chest. "Thank you for coming over. You didn't have to do all this." I kissed her forehead and ran my hand down her back.

"But I wanted to, babe. And you would've been asleep at that table had I not come over. So... you're welcome. I won't stay long, though. I don't need your mom raising hell in the morning."

He laughed at himself before realizing y/n had quickly fallen asleep, just like he expected her to.

end.