countdown // mara

I walked to the couch with my bowl of popcorn and grabbed my beer from the table before letting myself sink into the cushions. I propped my legs onto the table and wiggled my toes, getting comfortable for the uneventful night I had ahead of myself.

I was supposed to be in Jersey for the new year, but my flight got cancelled due to the blizzard. I checked every airline and all flights were delayed until January 6th.

Austin and Edwin went back home, and Zion and Brandon were at some party in Calabasas. They invited me, but my whole mood was fucked up and the last thing I wanted to do was party. I had my entire week planned out and was excited to see my family again. It's been about 3 months since I've went back, and I missed my mom.

I scrolled through my phone, letting whatever New Year's Eve countdown play on TV. Everyone seemed to be having a fun evening, and no matter how hard I tried to hype myself up, nothing could really pull me out of the funk I'm in.

I set my phone down with a heavy sigh and got up to retrieve something that never failed to make me feel better— weed.

I stepped into my room and grabbed the mirror box from my drawer, opening it open to see what I was working with. I frowned as I looked into the container to see less than what I remembered. It was enough to roll a blunt, but not one big enough to satisfy my needs.

"I swear on my moms, Zion is starting 2019 on the floor," I muttered before closing the drawer and returning to my dent in the couch, box in hand. My phone rang and I declined the call. Whoever it was could wait, I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone nor listen to their drunken rambling.

I pulled the coffee table closer to the couch, and I laid out my rolling paper. Just as I was about to start sprinkling weed onto the paper, the familiar ringtone interrupted me again.

"Fuck!" I groaned before setting my green contents down and snatching my phone from my side before holding the phone to my ear.

"What," I deadpanned through my clenched teeth.

"Nick, what the fuck!"

I could feel my frown fade as I heard her whining come through the line. From the noise in the background of her call and the way she put emphasis on 'what,' I knew she was tipsy.

"What I do?"

"You didn't answer me, bitch. I could've... been dying."

I could imagine the frown on her face as she tried to sound angry through her tipsy state, and I couldn't help but grin at the mental image.

"Well.. are you?"

"Yes! My feet hurt and all the guys are ugly or they're hot but gay! And some skank had the audacity to wear the same dress as me. It's a different color and I look better, but that's besides the pooint. And I'm hot, but then I go outside and it's cold and I wanna go home."

"Send your location and I'm on the way," I finalized as I made my way to the car. I went to McDonald's and got y/n some chicken nuggets and orange juice because as much as that doesn't go together, she likes orange juice with everything when she's drunk.

I pulled up to the penthouse and I saw y/n's thin figure leaning on the wall. I got out to hold the passenger door open while taking in her appearance for a second.

She wore a short rose gold dress with thin straps that was paired with sparkly thigh high boots that showed off her long legs nicely. Her dark locks were slicked into a low bun to show off her multiple ear piercings. Even in the darkness, I could see the glitter scattered across her mahogany skin.