confide // honoret

based on confide by pnb rock

The bordeaux card was in my hand, and I let my eyes wander over the small message on the card, its glossy letters contrasting the matte background.

You need to loosen up. I can tell you've been stressed.

I thought it was a blank card until I tilted it and caught a glisten of the message in the light as I was on my way to throw it in my trash bin.

The card had been left on my desk while I was on my lunch break, and none of my coworkers that I had asked knew who placed it there. I pursed my lips and flipped the card over, tilting it to reveal a number in the same enticing glossiness.

I couldn't help but occasionally glance at the card throughout the rest of my workday, fighting between the urge to throw the card away and taking my break to call the number.

I leaned forward and set my mug on my coffee table, grabbing my phone before settling back into my comfortable position on the couch.

The mystery of it all made me think that whoever sent this card was big on anonymity. And the only type of businesses I could think of were those involving call girls, escort services, and sex traffickers. But surely they couldn't get up to my floor and personally deliver a card like this.

Knowing our secretary, Zion, he would've thrown the card away once he took a glance at it and assumed it was blank. Maybe it's just a business card for a massage spa, but something in me knew that it wasn't.

Sure, I could be setting myself up to get abducted, but my curiosity was stronger than my apprehension to call this number at the moment. Something in my gut told me that this call might be worth my while.

My thumb hovered over the green button for a moment, the nerves from earlier reappearing in my stomach, before I pressed it and waited, my nerves growing more and more restless with each ring.

"Hello.."

"Y/n."

My breathing stopped as I heard the warm and slightly raspy voice say my name, and the pit of fear in my stomach spiked to a sickening level.

"How... how do you know my-"

"We work together. Same building, different floors. Your voice is one I can't forget, either. It's a little lower than most women I've come across."

"How would you know me if we aren't on the same floor?"

"Because I notice you whenever you come up and deliver files. I look for you any time I'm in the lobby. I come to your floor just to see you, y/n."

"Why?" I furrowed my brows and chewed on my lip, my hand growing clammy around my phone.

The man on the other end breathed out a laugh as if I asked the dumbest question, "Because I want you."

"You don't even know me," I retorted.

"I know you well enough," he mused.

"Oh yeah?" I shot back in a tone full of skepticism.

He hummed to himself before taking a breath.