Chapter Eleven

Fallon:

            After finishing her lunch, Fallon retreated to the nursery to give Marshall his bottle and attempt to lull him to sleep. It occurred to her that after the excitement of the visit from Wyatt’s parents, she wouldn’t have minded a nice long nap of her own. With Lucian and Griffin opting to spend time with Wyatt that afternoon, nothing was stopping her from getting the nap she craved.

            Fallon didn’t blame Lucian and Griffin for wanting to be with Wyatt. Instead, she was touched by it. No doubt, Wyatt needed assurances from his new big brothers that they’d always take care of him, especially after his parents’ reaction to the news.

            As she rocked her son to sleep, Fallon’s thoughts returned to Wyatt’s parents. If anyone ever tried to take her son from her, Fallon would’ve stopped at nothing to get him back. Though she didn’t have any doubt Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes would do what they could to get Wyatt back, it would prove as fruitless as her mother’s efforts had all those years ago.

            Thoughts of her mother made her grimace. Like Wyatt’s parents did today, her mother once showed up on Simeon’s doorstep swearing she’d never let him have her daughter. In the end, her mom had done nothing to get Fallon back. Some might argue that agreeing to marry Elliot Church, who’d promised to help return Fallon to her, was doing something. Fallon knew better. If marrying Elliot was really about getting Fallon back then her mother wouldn’t have disappeared when Elliot called off their farce of an engagement. Not that Fallon would’ve let her mother win, but it would’ve been nice if she’d put up a better fight.           

            When she glanced down at Marshall, she realized he’d fallen asleep. Taking care not to jostle him awake, Fallon rose from the rocker and crossed the room to transfer him to the crib. Before slipping from the room, she chanced a kiss on his warm, chubby cheek, but the baby didn’t stir.

            Fallon couldn’t help smiling as she closed the nursery door behind her. Even though she hadn’t been sure what to expect, being a mom was the best thing in the world. The love she felt for her son was unmatched by anything else.

The smile Fallon wore faded when she spotted Seth coming up the stairs with a grim look on his face. Despite being curious to know what prompted the anger in his eyes, Fallon knew better than to ignore the don’t fuck with me sign blinking over his forehead. Pretending not to see him, she turned in the direction of her bedroom.

“You don’t have to ignore me,” Seth said.

Fallon smiled as she turned to face him. “You caught me.”

“I figured, but I was coming to talk to you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, you’re not busy are you?”

“I’m never too busy to make time for a friend,” Fallon assured him. “How about if we have some iced tea in the sitting room?”

“Yeah, whatever,” Seth agreed.

They descended the stairs in a tense silence that made Fallon wish they’d transported themselves to the sitting room. Instead, she occupied her thoughts with trying to figure out why Seth wanted to talk to her rather than Lucian or Griffin. 

“I’ll get the tea,” Seth announced when they got to the bottom of the stairs.

Even though they could’ve called upon another servant to bring the tea, Fallon didn’t try to stop him. If he wanted to talk about Angelica, as she suspected, then he was probably stalling for time.