Chapter Two

Fallon:

            “Hey, welcome home!”

            Fallon smiled to see it was Seth who held the door open for her to enter instead of Sebastian. After coming home from college a few years ago, it wasn’t long before Seth moved in with them. Ever since then he’d taken a more prominent role as their servant. It was a role Sebastian didn’t seem to mind relinquishing, likely due to his advancing age. 

Behind Fallon, Lucian and Griffin came with their child. Though Marshall was in his car seat, each man had a firm grasp on the handle. Not for the first time Fallon wondered if they’d made some sort of agreement to do everything they could to play an equal part in their son’s life.

“Should you be walking this soon?” Seth asked.

Fallon smiled at him. “I just had a baby. It’s not like I had major surgery or anything.”

Though Fallon spoke the words, she too had been shocked to learn she was being released from the hospital only a day after giving birth. Considering it took nine months for the baby to be ready to come out, she would’ve thought hospitals would give a woman more time to adjust to motherhood instead of just shoving her into it a day later.

“You don’t look like a woman who just had a baby,” Seth said and winked at her.

Fallon widened her smile. That was thanks to her black magic. Just because she was forced to carry a few extra pounds while carrying her child didn’t mean she was going to stay a fat ass after her son was born.

“Please tell me you’re not flirting with my wife right in front of me,” Lucian said, but he grinned at Seth when he spoke.

“Nah, just paying her a compliment,” Seth assured him. “So, you guys heading up to your room, or did you want to have some lunch?”

Until he mentioned lunch, Fallon hadn’t realized she was so hungry. It occurred to her that she hadn’t eaten since lunch yesterday. This morning, one of the hospital staff did bring her something that was supposed to pass for food, but she hadn’t been able to bring herself to eat it.

“I wouldn’t mind eating,” Fallon said.

“Just tell me what you want, and I’ll have the kitchen staff bring it,” Seth offered.

After telling Seth what they wanted, Fallon and the twins settled in the largest sitting room. Even though the baby was still asleep in his car seat that didn’t stop Lucian from unbuckling him and lifting the baby into his arms.

“If you hold him all the time you’re going to spoil him,” Griffin said.

            “I don’t care,” Lucian countered as he stared down at the baby.

            “Fine, but when he becomes an impossible, demanding, spoiled child, I’m going to make you deal with him,” Griffin warned.

            “Duly noted,” Lucian said and then frowned. “Does he feel warm?”

            Griffin laid a hand across the baby’s forehead. “No warmer than you and I feel when our emotions are running high.”

            “Maybe he just needs time to adjust to the new environment,” Fallon offered, though she was a bit worried.

            With the baby being part demon, his body temperature would escalate with his emotions. How was she supposed to know if he was sick or just upset? What if he was upset because he was sick? Fallon didn’t want to be one of those neurotic new mothers that ran her child to the doctor for every little thing, but she didn’t want to make the mistake of thinking he was angry when he was actually ill.