Prolouge

*Prologue*

~ Rhys ~

》Present: 2 years after《

I was in Pain. I felt Relief. I saw Light. I was in the Dark. I was Caged. I had Freedom. I was Life. I was Death.

I choked on the blood that was spilling from my mouth, the red drops falling and forming roses on the ground. My vision was blurred, either my imagination was taking over, or my tears wouldn't stop falling.

The world was spinning around me, but I laid there. Like a leaf on the surface of water. Like the feather in the wind.

There was chaos all around me, black smoke taking over the blue skies, the once green grass streaked with blood and dead bodies. The screaming of people was something I couldn't hear, over the loud rushing of blood in my head.

Every breath was a slow poison to my lungs, slowly killing me inside. My heart was pumping slow, my blood spilling from unhealed wounds on my body.

The gentle breeze flowed through my open wounds, the pain of it feeling like a thousand knives. The ground around me was filled with black roses, their thorns embedded in my skin.

Maybe this was my fault, that I couldn't stop it. This was the future I saw, but couldn't change.

I couldn't even move, let alone fight. This was it. I was going to die, and lose my life. My hopes, my dreams. Everything.

I was dying, but I was living. I was caged, but I was free. I felt anchored to the ground, yet I felt like I could fly.

Was this what it was like to give up? To taste failure? That all you ever worked for was just out of reach, but our fingers couldn't hold onto it, and you fell. Like an angel from heaven, falling to hell.

I felt drops of water falling on my face, and the familiar smell fill my nose. Rain. It was in my blood, I was born during its heavy showers, and I would die with the gentle pouring of water on my blood covered body.

I saw short flashes of my memories, of me jumping in puddles, the feeling of a warm hand turn cold as they changed in front of my eyes. Those bright happy eyes, the high pitched giggle, the small smirk and wink, and the smell of wild pine as I was wrapped in strong arms. They were still fighting. Against all the odds, they stood their ground.

I smiled weakly as I knew. They wouldn't be stopped. They couldn't be stopped.

They showed me how to live. They showedme how to love. Was it really worth it to hate in my last dying moments? Was it fair on them to die like this?

The rain was pouring now, the water soaking through my skin. The blood was washed from my skin, and the water washed away any signs of the tears that fell.

My arms felt like they were attached to the ground, as part of the earth. My entire body was a dead weight, unable to move. I didn't want this, not now.

Death was not something that scared me. But that fact that I would leave...

I didn’t want to go. Not when I had just learned how to live, how to smile, how to see time fly by. I didn't want to leave.

My breathing started slowing down. My heart started beating slowly, less hard. My body was giving up, accepting that this was the end. But my mind wouldn't accept it.

I didn’t want to give up. Not when they were still fighting for me. Not when they had given up, and sacrificed so much, just for the person who couldn't help them at all in the end.

I tried denying it. Denying that I was dying. Denying that it was time for me to go. It couldn't be. Not now. Not ever.

But... I couldn't live forever. You had to have reasons to live for. Forever was too long to live, there would be no reasons left. Maybe just something a little short of forever, where I could live life completely and die in peace.

Maybe I deserved this. I was a part of all this. My own hands weren't clean. No mortal punishment would be good enough. Maybe this would be my sentence, to long life most when I was dying. I didn't want to go, but there was no other way to make me pay.

The last of my willpower gave up on holding on. My heart finally stopped pushing itself. My lungs finally exhaled their last breath.

It felt like I was going to sleep at the end of a tiring day. The feeling of hitting your head on the pillow, and your body giving into it's exhaustion.

My eyelids felt heavy, like they couldn't stay open anymore. They begged me to close over my eyes, to finally fall asleep and dream. I took a last look at the clouds, and slowly felt my eyes close. The world was unfocused, a mix of the black smoke and white clouds, and I felt numb. The pain was going away, and I felt free. I felt light. I felt like I could fly.

I held onto my memories as my life faded away, the moments I spent with them. The moments which made my heart beat. The moments which took away my breath. The moments which made my skin alive. The moments where everything stopped and stood still.

And with that... I began fading.