funeral

i just got inside covered in sweat and a little dirty and i enter the kitchen too see dad hunched over the counter

"dad?" i call out softly he sniffles and turns to me with a slight smile "hey sweetheart"

"you alright?" "what?-oh yeah yeah i just uh-i have something to tell you" i slowly nod "ok what's up?"

he's silent for a moment "coach buzzer died"he sighed softly i gasp and put my hand over my mouth,my eyes watering coach buzzer has been teaching me basketball since i was 7

"please tell me your lying and your playing with me?" i ask my lip trembling "no baby i'm not" i sniffle and run to give my dad a hug and he squeezes me tight

"well anyway" he says after a moment "the funeral is on friday and pack a bag with clothes,us and a few of my friends and their kids are all staying at a cabin on the lake" i nod and go to my room and start packing.
^^^^^
it's friday,the day the funeral happens and we got ready and put our stuff in our car and head down to where the ceremony is being held.

we park and get out the car and i hear someone say "no no no. no cell phones" "wait no cell phones then i'm outta here"my dad says "higgie!"a guy call out to him

"who's ready to get their funeral on!" and my dad does this weird dance "dad stopppp" i groan with embarrassment but let a smile slip

"sorry death makes me weird,uh guys meet my daughter kaiden,kaiden this is lenny,and you already know kurt and the rest should be here soon" i smile and nod my head at kurt and i stick my hand out for lenny

"hi nice to meet you"i say with a smile he shakes it "nice to meet you as well" "hey honey why don't you go play with the other kids?" my dad offers and i nod. i glance over and i see charlotte

"char!" i yell and jog to her "kaiden!" she gives me a hug which i return and i now notice another girl here "oh kaiden this is donna,donna kaiden" we smile at each other and exchange "hi's"

we were all three talking when suddenly charlotte nudges me "hey look over there,someone has a crushhh" she sing-sang i furrow my brows and look over my shoulder too see a kid with curly brown hair staring at me with another kid who i'm assuming is his brother and a little girl which i'm also assuming is his sister.

i smile his way and he looks down in embarrassment of being caught and i giggle."do you think he's cute?" donna asks i shrug "i don't even know his name but yeah...kinda" the two girls giggle and tease me.

the ceremony starts and we all head inside we sit in front mr.lamansoff and behind mr.feder i keep sneaking glances at greg-was his name his brother-kiethie-and little sister becky my dad saw me looking at him and nudged me,wiggling his brows i shake my head blushing a bit.

i felt eyes on me and turned forward and i locked eyes on greg but he hurriedly looked away.

"coach robert 'the buzzer' fernando was a caretaker as a profession,what a wonderful word to describe his devotion to his fellow man he truly took care,when robert knew his time was short he told me there was once specific man he wanted to say a few words to memorialize him...so i'd like to ask lenny fader to come up"

i pretty much zone out after that laughing at jokes here and there,see that's what i like about my dads friends they look on the bright side.i could feel my eyes stinging as the speech comes to a finish.

during robs performance i'm not sure how he's has enough air to sing like that.i try to contain my laughter but my dad and his friends are making it harder i can't help myself and i let out a few giggles.

my dad leans over to me "i'll give you five dollars of you make a buzzer sound with me"i glance at him and smirk.the song finally comes to an end and me and dad cup our mouths with our hands and make the sound while everyone laughs

"grow up will ya"rob calls from the stage and dad passes me the bill and i smirk at him.

the funeral ends and we are at the after party and all of us kids are at a table just talking "so greggie any crushes?"kiethie asks while glancing at me and greg chokes on his water,the girls giggle and he blushes "n-no" he stutterers and i get a pang of sadness.

but-but he's mr hollywood jr. and i don't even know him he could be a snob or someone that's spoiled so i made my decision then and there 'i will not like greggi-greg feder'

i look across the table to where the grown ups are and i see rita,i swear she's a nanny! and i'll prove it. i narrow my eyes into slits at her. the event ends and we are off to the lakeeee!