chapter twenty-one

Vi and I walked beneath the large red plaque spelling 'Hillcrest' that was strung over the street. The neighborhood was a sight for sore eyes. Rainbows spangled the vicinity: the colors were painted on houses, shops, and waving flags. Being a weekday, the neighborhood wasn't as boisterous as it was famous for, but this was the very reason Vi and I sauntered, ice creams in hand, through the district, enjoying the many empty boutiques.

Vi had met me after I got off work, as her college schedule left her afternoons open a couple days a week. With Hillcrest being right down the road, we decided to meet here after her class let out.

I dodged around a woman chattering on her cell phone, licked my ice cream, and said, "How've classes been?"

"Good. I'm going on an overnight field trip for my photography class. We're going to Big Bear to take nature shots."

My cone nearly plunged to the ground from my suddenly limp hand. "You're going on an overnight trip?" I asked, shocked, adding, "How many people are going?"

"There will be six of us total. Justin told me that there will be lots of birds at Big Bear. He's a guy in my photography class, and he likes birds too."

Was it possible for spirits to lift and sink in unison? Because that was exactly what mine was doing. Vi's life was grounded in routine. It had taken her years and many attempts to stay a full night at my apartment, and almost the same for me to stay at her place overnight. Certain daily activities were sacred – as were her routines. I admit I was nervous about how she'd handle an overnight deviation away from them.

Yet, as I looked at my best friend, my chest ballooned. She wasn't the same person as when we'd first met hiding behind a shed; years of growth had taken place, and how was I only now noticing? She knew what she wanted and she knew how to get it; nothing held her back, and I was suddenly at a loss. How could I have lived with the bravest person I knew and not have been inspired to live my life in the same way? Why had the realization taken me so long?

"Meghan and I are dating now," Vi said casually, licking her cone so it formed perfect symmetry.

The realization drilled in further. I wasn't surprised they were dating, and, while I had worked with Meghan over the last couple days, I had bitten back the urge to ask. Vi was the one who should tell me, and Meghan seemed to understand this. My chest tingled again as I examined Vi. I could see excitement in her subtle expression, bright eyes, and calm demeanor.

"I'm happy for you, Vi," I said.

"She said she wants to take things slow because of her last girlfriend. She said" – Vi's tone shifted as though reciting Meghan's exact words – "she doesn't want to jump into anything."

"I think that sounds like a fair point."

"But what does that mean?" Vi asked.

We trailed down a side street lined with bars and restaurants; the sweet and tangy smell of Thai food hit me like a wall. "Well, I think it depends on the person. Did Meghan say what she wanted?"

"No, just that she didn't want to jump into anything."

When faced with a complicated situation, especially a subjective one, Vi often asked for my input. It was easy to tell her what to do based off what I knew and how I would handle it, but I wasn't sure my advice was doing Vi any good. She was capable of making her own decisions, and I wanted to offer her support, not a personal agenda.

"It could mean many things, Vi," I explained, nearing the outdoor counter of the Thai restaurant. I tactfully kept my distance from the man taking orders and was spared his death date.