6 | Trouble In Paradise

Basma

Today I decided to cook because the maid was out on an errand for me.

Next month was a friend's wedding so I had to get a set of materials and ankara sewn by one of the best fashion designers in the country, JimmyJimmy. I sent Victoria to go and collect it from his house with my driver.

He came to Abuja for a fashion show and he'll be returning in the evening, tomorrow.

I bought some spices yesterday and peach flavoured tea to make a splendid breakfast for myself.

The socket at which the coffee maker was connected made a spark then I turned it off, luckily the coffee was already done so I moved to set the pan on the gas cooker.

I broke five eggs into the whisking bowl then turned on the gas cooker to heat up the oil I'd poured into the pan.

A knock distracts me, I paused to see if I'd hear it again but I didn't hear anything so I continue cooking. I almost pour the egg mix on the floor but I move the bowl just in time and the mix lands in the pan. I pour the rest into the pan before turning to attend to the sliced potatoes I'd put in the deep fryer.

I stretch for a fork from the utensils cabinet to lift the egg so I'll see if it has fried to the level I'd like then I flipped it to fry the other side.

Music from my pill blared loudly. I bobbed my head back and forth to the melodious voice of Korede Bello, waiting for the chips to be done.

The egg had been done for a while but I let it turn to a darker shade of brown before I put it in the food flask.

The knock came again and this time it was continuous.

"Madam there's somebody at the door." Lami; another one of the maids said.

"Who is he?"

"He said his name is Rayyan."

Even hearing his name had me shivering.

I cleared my voice, "Let him in."

"Ok ma." She runs out.

Immediately, she returns to the kitchen.

"Ma, he's in the living room."

"Tell him I'll be there in a minute then come back here."

"Ok ma."

She's back in less than a minute so I direct her on how to handle my deep fryer and finish frying the chips then I rush upstairs to change my clothes and put more perfume.

All the clothes in my wardrobe suddenly looked distasteful. I dragged a purple boubou and a white veil to wrap around my body but after wearing it I notice it's rumpled so I quickly change out of it into a plain white camisole and a Palazzo before throwing a kimono on and matching it with a simple, pink veil.

I rubbed some oud all over my body before touching up my make-up a bit then I leave after putting on my lipgloss.

My phone rang from the bedside table so I rushed to pick it up because I was expecting Yusra's call. Just as expected, it was her.

"B mama how far?"

"I dey o. Wetin dey sup?" I'm fine. What's up? I asked as I walked out of my room.

"I can't make it so I sent Rayyan to represent me. Is that ok with you? I believe he's already at your house."

That's more than ok my friend!

"Yes. He came a while ago. I'm about to go and see him. It's not a problem. Is the man there with Aaliyah already?" I leaned on the metal rail of the stairs.