15 | Long Time No See

Bilal

"Daddy don't go!" Kauthar, Lalyla and a sleepy Bushra begged.

"I have to go. It's important. I'll be back as soon as possible to take you hiking, ok?"

They all wrapped me in a hug as they wept noisily against my shoulders.

"We'll miss you." Layla shuddered.

"Can you take us with you at least? Since our exams are over." Bushra Begged.

I scratched at my beard as I thought about it and found that it was a good idea so I smiled, "Ask your mother first."

They all turned behind them to meet their slightly angry mother with clenched fists, forcefully smiling.

"Babies, I'm sorry but you can't follow daddy. He'll be too busy to spend time with you."

"We'll be fine. It's just for the holiday." Kauthar grinned, revealing toothless spaces in her mouth.

"Two weeks!" Layla added with two of her fingers pressed to her mother's stomach.

I could tell she was finding it hard to accept her children's reasoning with the passive aggressive tune her voice took to use on her kids.

"I said no! And that's final." She folded her arms across her chest and sighed, slightly annoyed that I didn't say anything to deter the children's plans.

What could I do? I wanted my children with me but this woman has tied an invincible leash around me and she's the person that can loosen the grip.

I'm getting fed up with this long distance relationship and having to visit at a specific time of the year just to see my family. I guess I'll just have to man up and say my mind.

I rose up from my comfortable position on the couch and pulled her outside to try convincing her.

"You have to let them go."

"Why?" She grimaced.

"They also have family they need to get to know back home."

"They have family here too so what are you saying?"

"Can you quit being selfish for once?"

She took a long breath as her eyes got wider, her hands on her chest, "Me? Selfish? That's not true!"

"You alway make everything about you. Why can't you see that everyone needs a break? I love you but your attitude is unacceptable."

"I don't care what you say, you're not taking my kids."

"Your kids?" I scoffed, "They're rightfully mine as well."

"I gave birth to them."

"I don't want to get into this with you, just pack their clothes in their boxes so that I can take them."

All of a sudden, she started crying and yelling, "Why do you want to take them and leave me alone?"

"Did I beg you to stay?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" She hissed.

I thought you were crying?

"You're the one who decided to fly out here and now you're complaining."

"You can live here with me." She pointed out.

"No, thank you. Bilan, I have until tomorrow to buy them tickets so please go back in. I have work to do."

She murmured something and hissed. To her, I didn't hear anything but I heard clearly with my eagle ears.

"If you know Tadalesh wouldn't do this to you why don't you go back to him?"