35 | Dropped a Bomb

Basma

We arrived Abuja this afternoon from Lagos and are about to find our square roots. I can't believe I've been in captivity for at least seven months. Rayyan has been asking me to go home with him since when we were in the plane. I refused but he kept begging so I pretended to sleep so he would let me be till I actually fell asleep.

Rayyan is just holding a small bag with some of his stuff in it since none of us have luggage including Bilal who has been talking to his children for about thirty minutes by a car I think is his own because he pays the driver and collects his car keys while the man treks to the gates of the airport.

"Have you told your family?" Rayyan asks one the most casual manner as if it was something people normally went to tell their families especially seeing with our conditions.

I nod but don't quite look at him so he doesn't see I'm lying.

"Everyone?"

I still look away "Hmm."

"You're not giving me the answers for what I asked."

"I haven't!" I hiss, "Ok?"

"Why?"

"I didn't know how they would look at me so I only told Sa'adatu."

I wished I told Afaf too but I just felt like she would turn to hate Rayyan. As much as I trust her I couldn't risk her worrying about me when I was already kidnapped.

"We should go and tell them. We need to all face the truth."

"I have to tell them by myself."

"Ok." He sounded disappointed. I knew if he came with me my family would not let this end. I have to hash things out with them before bringing him. It's my own cross to bear just as it is his so the best we can do is tell our parents—well in my case—guardians, individually.

"But I'm scared. What if they hate me?" My chest burns and I feel a little kick. My heart beats faster in excitement and that gives me the energy to be stronger. My hands slowly fall to cover my bowling ball-like belly and I smile so much my eyes hurt.

"They won't, trust me. If they could go to extreme lengths to find you, a pregnancy shouldn't make them despise you."

"I'll use today and tomorrow to prepare myself. I won't visit them or call today."

"But they'll be worried. They already know you should be in this country by now."

"I don't care. I'm not mentally prepared to face anyone yet."

"Ok, where will you be staying at today?" He opens his arms wide as if he's about to hug me but he's just smiling and doesn't come close to even touch me, "Don't be a buzz kill please."

I roll my eyes tiredly and a sigh escapes my lips, "My house."

"You can have a room to yourself at my place."

I shook my head shyly whilst covering my tinted cheeks from his burning gaze.

"Why not?"

"We can't ever act sane with each other alone."

"I'll be in a different room, just come." He countered.

"But my things," I drawled. "I need new clothes and some other personal stuff."

"I can get them for you. Just get some rest."

"My answer is," I graciously smiled then paused to look at him. "No."

He's just silent. I know he's heard me but he doesn't want to talk to me because I've refused to go home with him.

We walked together quietly until we were able to find Bilal at the far end of the airport, about to enter his car to leave. I walked a bit faster to reach him and speak to him one last time since I would never have to see him again.