Chapter Two- We need to talk.

~Virginia Beach, VA, 1998~

Hello, my name is Poppy Hazel. I am fifteen years old; I am a sophomore at school; I work at a fast-food restaurant after school. I keep up with my studies and keep to myself. It's simply better that way. I don't need to draw attention to myself.

I am very awkward; I am short, round, and wear glasses. I have been big all my life. I get ridiculed often by my classmates. If I don't say anything, they have nothing to use against me. I don't open my mouth until I get to work. Even there, I only talk to customers.

Things at home aren't terrible. My mom is a big woman herself; She runs an at-home daycare; my dad is retired and has a drinking problem. He doesn't have much to do with any of us. My mom won't divorce him because she's waiting for me to turn eighteen.

My parents don't know that I lost my virginity to a parent of one of the kids my mom babysits. He took my virginity at thirteen. He is the only one I have been with. The only times it happens is when he catches me alone at home, or I am sent for a stay over if I don't have to work. He sneaks into the room after his wife goes to bed. His wife is a nurse, and he is a cop; he's quite good-looking, but I am only fifteen. I will say it's all consensual. I'd never rat him out.

It's Christmas time, and I am excited this year. I have saved all my money from my job, and I can afford to buy my family and my mom's kids all presents. I am off tonight, so I am going shopping.

I basically run to the house when I get off the bus.

Alicia: "Hey, honey, how was school?"

Poppy: "Same as always. Are you still taking me shopping?"

Alicia: "Oh, I am sorry, Sweetheart."

The doorbell rings.

Poppy: "I got it."

I knew there would be some kind of excuse. There always is. I make my way from the kitchen to the living room; I am surprised to see Harley at the door; he's early.

Harley: "Hey, Sweetheart, are you ok?"

Poppy: "I'm fine. Are you here to get Hillary?"

Harley: "I am. I also need to pay your mom."

Poppy: "She's in the kitchen."

He looks around to make sure my dad and brother aren't around and then quickly kisses me.

Harley: "Come with me."

Poppy: "Ok."

He follows me to the kitchen. I know it's because he is watching my butt. He purposely pulls me behind the island so my mom can't fully see us.

Alicia: "Hey, Harley, how are you?"

Harley: "Great now that the weekend is here. How are you?"

His hand roams my butt.

Alicia: "I'm well. Give me just a minute, and I'll have Hillary ready."

Harley: "Thank you."

My mom had Hillary in a highchair. She was feeding her a snack. I've noticed that my mom has been taking on fewer and fewer children. She has Hillary all day long and three older ones in the evening after school. That's why I can't understand why we can't go shopping.