Part 17

RK was now in the office. All the while during his drive he had been lost in the complications that his life made him face. Everything seemed to entangle. Why he was the one tested so much? God is said to be benevolent and even-handed for all. Then why some people are given all the happiness in their lives while some are not even allowed a mere peace of mind. And there are some like him who hate their very own existence. Wasn't his repulsion with himself enough before, that now he has been held responsible for hardships of Madhu's family too. He remembered Padmini and tear fell through his eye again.

He was still lost in thoughts as he passed by Madhu's desk. She was sitting there working. She saw him and sighed expecting him to come and bother her now. But to her surprise RK didn't even look at her today. He was too lost to look anywhere.

"Looks like my boss is late today.." she intervened trying to start a conversation to judge what state of mind he was in.

RK looked at her for a second and shook his head with a slight smile. Madhu suddenly felt something terribly wrong with him. This smile wasn't naughty, wasn't evil, wasn't even delight. It didn't even reach his eyes and He wasn't the one to just let go her comment.

"What happened? Won't you bother me today?" She asked trying to sound delighted though she wasn't feeling that at all.

RK turned to her and smiled. "You were a better actor Madhu.." he said.

Madhu looked at him and then frowned. "Fine! Tell me what happened?" She asked not trying to act anymore.

"And why are you so worried?" He asked back.

"Its my duty to know what bothers my enemy other than me.." she said as a matter of fact tone.

RK laughed lightly. "Okay.. so don't worry.. Its you only who is bothering me.." he said as he walked away. He didn't like staying there. He wanted to be alone.

RK entered his cabin but soon after Madhu entered behind him.

"Why are you not retorting to my comments?" She asked restlessly.

RK turned to face her. "I just don't feel like.. Already I have bothered you enough.." he said.

"Why?? That's what I am asking.. what happened suddenly..? Till yesterday you were ready to knock horns with me.. And now.." she said anxiously.

RK smiled a bit but then his gaze locked on her. He walked towards her. Madhu felt frozen as if his intense gaze had hypnotized her. Just the way it did the first day when she came to his cabin. He looked at her so passionately. He came closer to her but she couldn't move away. Finally he was face to face with her and he kissed her cheek lightly. Madhu looked at him as if in a trance.

"You are very pure Madhu.. Never change.. For anything.." he said still close to her face. Madhu looked at him shocked. She looked at him closely as her eyes wandered over his face, his eyes, his nose, his lips, his chest. She was still scanning him closely as she felt the urge to throw herself on his chest and cry her heart out and she might have even done that but RK stepped backward. She jerked when he stepped back. She wavered her gaze for a few seconds not knowing where to look anymore and then walked out of the room.

RK looked at her retrieving figure. He closed his eyes as a single lone tear fell. He had realized that if he stayed anymore closer, Madhu might loose herself and come closer to him. And he didn't want her to do anything that she might regret later. He knew that she loved him inwardly. But now he didn't want her to realize that, lest she would feel guilty to fall in love with her father's murderer.