56

Mia had finally settled. Madison watched her in silence as she cried. She felt like she'd shed more tears in the last few months than she had in her entire life.

It wasn't that she hated Jase, she was no longer angry at him. Their spat had spiralled out of control, but her head was a mess and the argument had been creeping up on them for a long time. Part of her was glad it had happened. She saw now maybe they were relying on him too much and the pressure was astronomical, it wasn't only Madison and Mia that needed him to hold things together.

Sam wouldn't know what to do without him, Kieran, as sweet as he was, was kind of hopeless, and everyone else - it seemed - had turned on him. When a barmaid had the balls to do what she did, it spoke volumes about how few people they could trust. He didn't get half as much credit as he deserved. The things he did were bound to weigh down on him, it was human nature and Jase grew more and more human by the day. Madison tried not to compare him to how he used to be, knowing she'd changed as well and sometimes it wasn't for the better. They were all doing their best.

She inhaled for four seconds, closing her eyes and letting her lungs inflate before pushing the air back out. In the next few weeks, maybe sooner, Benny and Tommy would be dealt with and they would all be free to live the ordinary, boring lives they all dreamed of. 

An hour after Jase had left, Madison picked up her phone to send him a text. Her dad was gone forever and she'd never get the chance to tell him she loved him again. She wouldn't take the same risk with Jase, no matter what note they left the night on.

*

"I can't believe it," Janine said. Jase polished off his brandy.

"I couldn't either but Mia has no reason to know her name otherwise," he mumbled.

"But why Sasha? I didn't even realise she knew Benny," Sam said. Jase shrugged limply. It was pointless trying to fathom the why's and how's. Some things, no matter how hard they were to digest, just were.

"She must have. He'd been to the club a few times, they were bound to have crossed paths and who's to say Benny didn't know she's Ramon's daughter?" They sat in silence, letting the information sink in. Jase hated to admit it, but this betrayal stung more than Adam or Tommy or Benny. He expected them to behave with vindictiveness, it was the business they were in; they were the dogs that ate the dogs. But Sasha? He'd been good to her.

At least now, there was no one around that could cross them. Their circle was smaller than it had ever been and those that knew anything worth knowing were either dead, in line for backfire, or in the house with Jase. He dragged his hands down his face, huffing a sigh of exhaustion. "Either way, it doesn't matter. My only concern now," he scoffed, shaking his head, "my only concern period, is Madison."

Janine smiled at him sympathetically, reaching across the table to give his forearm a reassuring rub.

"You've been for hell of a ride together, you were bound to explode at each other at some point," she said, referring to their argument. Jase hummed, unconvinced but grateful for her attempt. It had been easier in the house at times, back when he held all the power and Madison would only speak up when she could afford to risk it. Now, he had to face her on a level playing field and he didn't particularly like the home-truths that were coming out. Worst of all, he knew he didn't have a leg to stand on.

He was going to set things straight. He was going to be the man she needed him to be again, tonight.

His phone buzzed on the table, Madison's name flashing up on the screen with her message.

I love you, I'm sorry.

His fingers hovered over the letters for a moment before tapping out his response.