8*

The engine slowed to a low rumble as Jase pulled up to the kebab shop beneath Madison's flat. He pursed his lips at the yellow styrofoam boxes and meat filling the gutter left by drunken punters on their way home.

"I'll have your car taken to the garage and get the tyre replaced. Did you need to go anywhere tomorrow?" he asked, turning to look at her. She was staring ahead, the exhaustion hitting her all at once, pulling at her eyelids. She couldn't believe this was all happening again.

"I need to go shopping," she said absently. There was a pint of milk and two eggs left in her fridge, a half-full bag of pasta in the cupboard. The shopping trip was unavoidable.

"I'll take you. What time?"

Madison shook her head.

"I'll catch a bus or something, it wouldn't be a good idea to be seen together. Not with everyone thinking I'm dead." Not that it made much difference whether she was with Jase or not. If someone thought she was dead and saw her, it would stir just as much trouble.

"It might not be the smartest idea to be seen on your own either. As for everyone thinking you're dead, it doesn't matter now," he said. Madison hummed weakly, her vision glassing over, the lights of the kebab shop bleeding around the edges. She could feel her freedom slipping through her fingertips. The constant need to look over her shoulder every time she stepped outside crept back in, oozing into her bloodstream. She'd only recently stopped jumping when the postman pressed her buzzer. London was supposed to be safe.

"I guess," she mumbled. She knew he had her best interests at heart because being seen with her was a risk for him too. It would soon be common knowledge he had let her go and lord knew what kind of uproar that could bring. Jase took his phone from his pocket and handed it to her. Not his burner phone, a sleek iPhone instead. Madison wondered if he still had a burner phone and how much had changed. She added her number and he called it so she had his.

"Give me a message tomorrow, let me know when you want picking up," he said. Madison nodded then groaned.

"Her seat is in my car." Her head tipped back, this final inconvenience threatening to send her over the edge.

"Chris will tow it to the garage tomorrow and I'll grab it before I come and get you," Jase assured. Madison hadn't had a night this long since Mia was a few months old. She'd been a difficult baby at points, restless and demanding. It hadn't been clear sailing since she'd left the house. Almost anything but.

"Thank you." His lips curved but the smile didn't reach his eyes. He'd aged years in the past two hours and Madison rightfully assumed she appeared equally drained.

He waited until she was up the stairs and out of sight after she insisted she did not need walking to her front door before he drove off. His lightheartedness dissipated the second she got out of the car. This wasn't going to be easy. Then, nothing with Madison ever was.

*

Lily leapt off the sofa when Madison let herself in. She had chewed her nails down to the quick and was now searching Madison's expression for any sign of distress. Madison hadn't filled her in on much over the phone, just that she would be home late and she'd explain when she got there. Now that she was there, Madison didn't know what to say. She didn't want Lily to panic and she certainly didn't want to lose her only friend and babysitter because Lily would have the right to refuse to have anything to do with Madison after everything that had happened already.

"What happened?" Lily asked. Madison yawned, shedding her jacket and buying her time to think of a lie.

"My tyres got slashed. I had to get a lift home but no one was available until later so I had to wait around," she said, the half-lie rolled off the tongue naturally.