8) Pick a side

The two officers walked into the room staring down the lifeless Adrian. The first swiftly tossed a beige envelope at him.

"This. This is not my wife sir" sighed Adrian

"Don't play that card. We know all about you and Sophie Zilcar!" the first officer bellowed. The second however looked at the photographs and shook his head frigidly and walked over to the first officer and in a whispered tone said "Sir it really isn't his wife, that's the wrong file."

"ahem" the first officer coughed and retrieved the envelope, hitting the second officer on the head with a tinge of frustration and walked out.

"Mr Cavelli, are you feeling okay? You look quite pale." The second officer worryingly looked at Adrian who could hardly string together a few words never mind a conversation.

"I...I.. I when I saw the photograph...with the blood. She is fine isn't she?"

"Oh Mr Cavelli I shouldn't tell you this but Mrs Cavelli..."

"Mrs Cavelli is what?"

"We found her lying unconscious by the roadside. We thought you left her there after one of your arguments."

Adrian stood up, his tall frame towering the second officer, "that can't be my wife, I saw her two hours ago. Before she was taken."

"Taken?" the second officer put a hand to his mouth in sheer astonishment.

"Really? That shocks you more than the thought of me leaving her by the roadside?"

"No no no sir, I never thought you would do that, after you helped my family so I could never doubt you for a second."

"Well Pedro, I should have taken better care of my own family too. The last argument I had with Soph was about publicising our relationship."

"Does she still want to keep it hidden"

"Indefinitely, and the photos with Samantha doesn't help."

"Do you still love her?"

"Pedro... Is that even a question? I I think I need to get out of here I need to find her, but first I want to see this woman you claim to be Sophie."

"Understood Sir," Pedro opened the door and there stood the first officer, glaring at Pedro he attempted to stop the two from leaving, but Pedro allowed Adrian to go and glared back at the first officer, "Stay in your lane, don't push your luck with Mr Cavelli. I would give my life for that man. If you mess up don't look for me to save you, when the time comes pick a side."

"Pedro?  How do you know Mr Cavelli? What do you mean pick a side, I thought we already did!"

The first officer was left standing in pool of his pride. The second officer not only took the suspect out of interrogation but threatened him. Did Pedro work for Adrian? If so then it would make sense why he begged to be on this case, but who else in the force was under the thumb of the Cavelli Clan?