2) she left HIS pov

She threw the ring and I caught it, her small face wet with sadness and her big eyes sore. As she left; her light brown hair was caught by the sunlight, glimmering a shade of gold before whipping behind her. She said she didn't deserve this and I can't help but admit that she was right. A lovely woman in all her glory but I could not have her. The way she loves so selflessly and completely gives herself fills me with guilt for I could never give my heart the way she does so effortlessly. I cannot love her the way she deserves and for that reason I had kept her at an arms length. I could never give her the life she dreams of but I myself am unsure about the life I want. When my grandfather placed an ultimatum regarding the management of the company I knew right then that was what I wanted. So yes, I used her to appease with my grandfather as I would not be able to control all the family shares had I not been married. 

Marriage. the word itself makes me shiver, I don't understand why a marriage would show I'm mature enough to handle our fortune but I followed the rules and in doing so i met Sophie. Then I began to despise myself because i was not enough for her and i knew it. but more than that I knew she could do better so after the three years she would leave me and find someone who is able to give her everything she deserves. I don't love her. Or like her in that way, perhaps its simply because I don't understand what that feels like but because it was never an emotion I ever needed. I see her and I cannot explain it, the way I feel it was similar to when I took over the company but it feels more fuller? I am not one for the romance of this world and therefore I never let her come close. But last night I messed up. Seeing her walk out the door, I couldn't help but chuckle. I knew she'd be back she always came back. Maybe today I did push her too far. Last night was really nothing. I kissed her, during my intoxicated state, may I remind you, took our clothes off and she fell asleep. We did nothing else. I knew she had not had those relations before and that is why we never went there but last night she came here concerned that her ex-fiancée would find her. I knew about her phobia of him so I had my assistant monitor where he was. He wasn't anywhere near her but her fear was viable. I managed to comfort her but then she began to cry. What else could I do but offer words and hold her, after all, she not only was helping me with acquiring my assets, but she became a friend over these past three months. It is not that I detest her, don't read me wrong, she is a beautiful and an impeccable woman, she's just not for me. I refuse to build a relationship if we are planning to leave each other in a few years. I need to prevent her from 'falling' for me. Then it is less complicated.

My phone began to ring, thinking it was Sophie, I picked it up and growled:

"If you want to go then stick with it for goodness sake."

"Adrian? What's happening" another sweet voice called back

My eyebrows knitted together. Samantha. As if today couldn't get any worse.

"Samantha, Good morning why are you calling me?"

"Oh, Adrian my car just will not start"

"Then get a cab"

"I was hoping you could extend me the courtesy of being able to come to work with you today?"

"Absolutely not"

"May I inquire why"

"I will see you at the meeting in 20 minutes"

I hung up. 

Samantha Green was possibly the most agitating woman I have ever met in my 26 years of life. Our parents tried at every extent to get us familiar with each other but I really could not find anything in that woman to build my world around. She followed my every move. She took the same courses as me, managed to enrol in the same university, begged her mother to allow her employment within my company, then when I married Sophie, she kicked up the largest fuss sending my employees into a frenzy. But growing up, she was another little sister to me and maybe that's the reason I haven't fired her yet. Kevin and I had set up numerous dates for her with other bachelors but she would always nitpick at them, almost comparing each one to me. I grew tired of trying to help her and just tolerated her overly gracious aura towards me.

I called Kevin, my assistant, my only best friend these days and we set off to the office. Sophie had already left. My mind had other things to worry about. I still made sure to call her but it went straight to voicemail I'll be sure to try again sometime. My mind flashed back to her body shaking as a result of my words. I felt an inexplicable pang at my heartstrings and brushed it off. She'll be fine she's a strong one I told myself confused at why I was even worrying.

We arrived at the building in under 10 minutes.

"Sir, Miss Samantha is at the entrance."

I looked up to see the figure of a woman shuffling around.

"Guess her car started up fine then," I said, Kevin understood immediately and giggled.

I walked out of the car, Kevin by my side blocking Samantha's view of me, even then, the woman found a way to run towards me, tripping on her heel, she fell. Instinctively, I gripped an arm around her waist and another against her back to keep her steady. I heard the faint sound of a capture release from a camera.

And oh boy, I knew right then that I was in trouble.