Ch 26

This pattern continued on for months, with Dick's condition gradually worsening. The dialysis just didn't seem to be working anymore.

Dick went from having dialysis 2-3 times a week, to once a day, to 1 hour breaks between 4 hour sessions, to having the machine constantly filtering his blood, aside from the time it took to change the filters.

The dialysis took a lot out of Dick, especially when he was no longer allowed to leave the watchtower and go home.

Babs was one of the only good things for Dick during this time. She stayed with him every day for as long as she could, offering comfort that nobody else could give.

Bruce had stayed by Dick's side almost constantly at first, as had Dick's brothers, but over time they just couldn't stand the sight of him so weak and seemingly close to death.

Dick stared at the ceiling of the small white room he had been confined to for days. Babs had just gone home, and he was extremely lonely. He longed for the company of Bruce, or even his brothers, but Bruce hadn't come to see him in the last week. The man had been pulling all nighter after all nighter, working at star labs to try and find something that would help Dick.

A sigh escaped Dick's lips and a tear ran slowly down his cheek. He could feel himself dying, he knew it wouldn't be long before the dialysis would no longer be enough and his body would succumb to the effects of the poison.

All Dick wanted was to see his family again before he died. He asked Babs every day if she could get them to come, but the most she ever got was Ace, who was currently curled up at Dick's feet.

Dick and Alfred had figured out early on that the serum he'd been injected with affected the electrum in Dick's blood, turning it to poison that his body had no way to fight. The only way to get rid of the poison was to get rid of the electrum which was easier said than done.

Lifting a hand, Dick wiped the tear off of his cheek before closing his eyes and drifting off into a restless sleep.

Bruce was currently sorting through mail. Barry had been helping him at star labs, but he'd forced him to go home and at least take a break after his fifth night without sleep.

At this point sleep was sort of a pipe dream, and that was why Bruce was going through his mail. He opened the next envelope in his stack and pulled out the paper that was contained inside.

The words 'Certificate of Adoption." Ran across the top of the paper with the name Richard John Grayson underneath.

Dick had been officially adopted... A bittersweet smile found its way onto Bruce's face as he gently tucked the document back into the envelope.

Alfred was standing in the doorway and knocked once to get Bruce's attention. The old butler wore a disappointed expression.

"Master Bruce... I believe Master Dick may only last a few more days, and he dearly longs to see you and his brothers. I really can't bear to watch him suffer alone any longer. He begs Miss Gordon every day to try and convince one of you to come see him, but nobody ever does." Alfred said wearily. "It may not be my place to tell you where you are lacking, but I demand that you get yourself and your three younger sons over to Dick's hospital bed and visit him before it is too late." Alfred said firmly, leaving no room for argument.

Bruce was speechless, so he simply nodded, tucking the envelope with Dick's adoption certificate into his pocket before going to collect his younger boys.

"Master Dick, you have visitors." Alfred said as he shook Dick awake.

Dick looked horrible, his skin was pale and his cheeks were sunken in. Despite Alfred's best efforts he was steadily losing weight.

Bruce, Jason, Tim, and Damian all filed into the small room.

Dick's eyes fluttered open and he stared with unfocused eyes at the ceiling. He groaned, thinking Alfred was back for another blood sample. His tired eyes blinked a couple times before they shifted down to look at his family.

"Bruce?" He croaked, tears filling his eyes. "You came." He sobbed, weakly holding out his arms to his father like a child wanting a hug.

Bruce stepped forward and accepted Dick's weak hug. "I'm here Dickie." He whispered into his son's ear as the younger sobbed.

"I-I m-missed you." Dick said, burying his face in Bruce's shirt. His efforts were made a bit awkward by the oxygen mask he had covering his mouth and nose.

A wave of guilt crashed over the bat family. They'd left Dick to suffer alone for the sake of their own comfort.

Bruce pulled back from the hug, pulling the envelope out from his pocket and handing it to Dick. "Something came in the mail for you bud." Bruce said with a sad smile.

Dick held the envelope in shaking hands, carefully removing the paper that was inside. More tears spilled down his cheeks as he read the words on the adoption certificate. "Dad." Dick sobbed, pulling Bruce into another hug.

"I'm sorry I haven't been here for you Dickie..." Bruce said. "I've been so focused on trying to find a cure that I haven't been being a very good father."

"'S fine. Babs' been keeping me company." Dick said with a tired yawn. He'd been finding that he had less and less energy these days.

Bruce sat down on the closest chair, grabbing Dick's hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

Dick's gaze shifted to his three brothers who were all standing awkwardly at the back of the room. He gave them a small smile inviting them to come forward.

The three boys stepped up to Dick's bedside and stood there, not knowing what to say.

"Hey guys." Dick said, voice a little muffled from the breathing mask.

"Hey." Tim replied, looking down at his feet. "Look... I think we're all sorry that we haven't been coming around to see you. I... I just didn't want to see you like this." Tim gestured to all the wires and machines that were connected to his older brother.

Dick gave a weak chuckle. "I must look pretty horrible... I'm glad you all came though. That way we could be together one last time." Dick said.

Damian started crying when he heard that, and he buried his face in the blanket that was covering Dick's legs. "Please d-don't go!" He cried. "It's not fair!"

Dick lifted a hand and stroked Damian's hair. "Shhh. It's alright little D. Everyone has their time to go." Dick said, trying to sooth his youngest brother.

"I n-need you. Y-you have to s-stay." Damian said, refusing to be consoled.

"You'll still have everyone else. Tim, Jay, Alf, and Bruce." Dick said calmly, already having accepted the fact that he most likely wouldn't live much longer.

"I don't w-want them. I want y-you!" Damian grabbed onto Dick's waist.

"It's alright Dami. I'm still here. We still have some time left together." Dick said, only causing Damian to cry harder.

"I should've come to s-see you more often, b-but I was too s-scared." Damian sobbed.

"We all should've come to see you more often..." Jason said, finally looking Dick in the eye.

"It's no use lamenting the time we've lost, all it does is waste the time we have left." Dick said.

"Dang, that was deep... Since when have you been so wise?" Jason joked.

"I've always been this wise Jay-bird. You just never listen to me." Dick said with a smile.

Dick eventually pulled Damian up onto the bed with him and they started playing uno, one of the games Babs had brought over for them to play while she was visiting.

When they finished the round they started chatting quietly. Dick was thoroughly tired out, and he quickly fell asleep with Damian curled up against his chest.

The rest of the bat family stayed by Dick's side through the night, each of them laying their heads down on different parts of the bed and drifting off to sleep one by one.