Ch 8

'There's something at the manor you need to see.' That's what the text on Barbara's phone read. It was from Bruce, sent at almost 2 in the morning.

"Must've been a late night." Babs muttered out loud to herself. Something at the manor... Bruce hadn't texted Babs for a long time, years in fact, but now he sends her a text out of the blue.

'Well, if he's gonna be annoying I'm gonna be annoying.' Babs decided, wrapping a back brace around her torso and grabbing her keys on the way out the door.

It was currently 6 AM. If Bruce really had gone to bed at 2 he would only be getting about 4 hours of sleep. Ah sweet revenge. That's what he deserved for keeping her out of the loop for so long.

When Babs arrived at Wayne manor she pounded on the door for a moment. Alfred answered the door and led Barbara to the living room where she sat down on the couch.

"Excuse me Miss Gordon, but may I inquire as to why you have decided to pay a visit this early in the morning?"

"Bruce said there was something I needed to see." Barbara said.

"I see. I don't believe he is awake as of yet, but I will go and inquire of him what he meant for you to see." Alfred left with a slight bow.

A few minutes later, Bruce stumbled down the stairs, rubbing his eyes and looking very tired and very hastily dressed. "Barbara. I didn't expect you this early in the morning." Bruce said with a frown.

"Well I figured whatever you texted me about must be important, seeing as you have been content keeping me out of the loop for all these years and you suddenly decide to contact me." Babs said with a sly grin.

Bruce groaned and ran a hand through his hair. "Whatever... he's upstairs." Bruce said as he turned and started walking away.

"He?" Babs questioned, quickly standing up and following Bruce back up the stairs and to the door of Dick's room. "Wait, wait, wait. You didn't get a new child did you?" Babs whispered, well aware that there were multiple people still asleep on this floor of the house.

Bruce just raised an eyebrow and a smile spread across his face as he gestured to the door.

Babs hesitantly pushed the door open, squinting as her eyes adjusted to the dimness of the room. When she glanced over at the bed her breath caught in her throat.

There, laying on the bed... very much alive... Was Dick Grayson. Dick was curled up next to a giant fluffy dog, and he was alive! One of Babs' hands flew up to cover her mouth and her eyes were wide as she turned to face Bruce.

"Please tell me this isn't a joke." Babs whispered, as if anything louder would shatter this moment.

"It's real." Bruce said, a small smile still visible on his face.

Tears pricked Babs' eyes as she slowly walked forward and laid a hand on Dick's shoulder.

Dick's eyes instantly snapped open when he felt the hand on his shoulder, and Ace lifted a paw and lazily draped it over Dick's chest.

Babs jumped back when she saw Dick's startlingly bright yellow eyes. She had been expecting beautiful blue eyes.

"Babs?" Dick said as he sat up in his bed.

Babs rushed forward and wrapped Dick in a hug which he quickly returned. "You're alive." She sobbed into his shoulder.

Bruce drew the curtains back away from the window and Dick hissed as the light burned his over sensitive eyes.

"Ya, I guess I am alive." Dick said with a chuckle.

"I thought you were dead! I saw you in the casket... What happened? Where have you been all this time?" Babs blurted out.