(Young!James x Fem!Gryffindor) Rebound

requested by @itsmalfoyybitchh

a/n: lmao sorry, shit's gone down irl, so i'll barely be posting- as usual, basically. i'll be taking requests but from time to time when i feel like it.

5/6th year

I tapped his shoulder. "Hey, Pro-"

"LILY!"

But was pushed aside, literally. At every turn, every time ask for some attention, he can't give it because it's always saved for Lily. I don't hate her or anything, but I'm obviously jealous. After him being a crush, he's my best friend- at least, he's supposed to be.

Always ogling at a girl that doesn't like him back and getting hurt repeatedly because he never learns, but then, again, what have I? I get hurt when he gets hurt, and I get hurt when he does anything for her. I might as well keep a distance, but I don't.

Moony patted my back. "Prongs is blind, but he'll see you eventually; I'm sure."

"Thanks, but I doubt it. Lily's great. Why wouldn't he chase after her?"

Fuck, and here he is again, at five in the morning of a Saturday, trying to woo my dorm mate with chocolate in one hand and lilies in another. How romantic.

I groaned, "Christ, Prongs, could you not?"

"Not what?"

"I just woke up, and I have to endure seeing your damn face. Spare me; I see it every other time of day!"

Everyone was asleep, but it looked like my deer friend was about to wake them up to make some grand confession, all of us in pajamas. 

"That's a sick burn, and I respect that, but must you interrupt the start of my wooing? Lils, please wake up," he shook the poor girl.

She didn't seem too happy to wake up that early or see him at all.

She sighed, "What? What is it?"

"A letter."

Dear Merlin, he pulled it out his pocket.

"Read it out," I laughed.

"I- it's personal, and it's not like I wrote it for you."

My mouth opened then closed. That hurt. I hoped to god no one could read me. Pain and embarrassment: the cost of attraction. We don't exactly choose who we like though.

"You are here now," said Lily, a sly smile on her face, "and anything written to me can be said, and anything you think's good enough for me's good enough for the girls as well. Go on."

Prongs knew there wasn't any arguing with that.

"You talk
and I fall
You walk
and I fall

I fall
I fall
I fall

I'm young, still dumb
My heart isn't numb
With you as a crush
What a rush