Chapter 45: Freeing Shizun

Shirong didn't like being left to stand outside and wait. He especially didn't like letting Shun take such a huge risk, even if his Shixiong was the right person for the job. He wanted to follow behind, trailing along like the foolish duckling he'd been in the past.

It occurred to him that that was how he'd gotten Shun in trouble in the first place. So this time he'd stay back and only interfere if it looked like he had to. Besides, Shun was right. He needed someone to guide him from outside the array.

Panic fluttered round Shirong suddenly, for no reason he could see. The seclusion chamber was empty aside from himself, his Shixiong and his Shizun. So why was he suddenly afraid? He turned frightened eyes on Shun, who was just about to step onto the wrong line.

Realizing the fear came from Shun, via their link, Shirong called out, "Step left."

"There's a pit!"

The terror in Shun's voice hurt, not least because it was partly Shirong's fault that Shun feared the array so much. Forcing his voice to stay steady, Shirong told him, "You're about to step off the path. You need to get further left somehow."

Shun paused, steadying himself. Jumped left and forward. Gods knew if he was evading a real pit or if it was all in his head. Gods knew if it even mattered. The main point was he was properly on the path again.

Steadying himself, Shun asked, "Now?"

"Three steps straight forward, then prepare for a curve to the right."

Shaking, starting sideways every so often, but keeping to the path despite his obvious fear, Shun followed Shirong's instructions to the letter. He spiraled inwards towards the man meditating at the center, each step barely moving him forward at all.

Shirong was about to ask why Shun was shuffling when he realized the problem. From outside, the array only looked a few dozen yards wide. It obviously was a great deal bigger to Shun. Still, he made good speed, only coming to a sudden halt when he reached the central circle. "Oh Gods...."

"What is it?"

"There's a pit all around him. Spikes at the bottom and... wait a minute... snakes?"

Shirong forced himself not to ask why it had to be snakes. Yet another thing his Shixiong wouldn't get. Yet another thing that'd just annoy him. Not to mention this was not the time. "Can you get past them?"

"Past? Hell, I can command them." Shun glared down at the floor and Shirong spotted faint movement in the array. Something writhing, like a box of earthworms or a nest of garter snakes. "That's it, little kinsmen. Come to me. Obey me."

The faint movement shifted. Tightened together. Became clearer. Ah, that was what Shun was doing, making the snakes carry him across to their Shizun. Now he appeared to float slowly across the circle, until at last he stepped off and knelt beside Master Quan.

"Shizun."

Their Shizun's eyes shot open, a devastated expression twisting his face. "No. They haven't... you were supposed to be safe."

Hearing that voice, usually strong and calm and wise, shaking like a trembling leaf, Shirong bit his lip. This was also his fault. If he hadn't run off the way he had, Shizun wouldn't have had to send Shun after him and Qiong Lou wouldn't have been given a reason to punish him.

"I am safe, Shizun. I've come to fetch you out."

"Not safe. Not safe at all." Quite suddenly Shizun grasped hold of Shun's robes. "Don't you see it's a trap?"