Monkey Business

They returned to the tent just barely in time. That was the one problem with hiding away in their spiritual space. They'd no way to tell if their disappearance was noticed. Shun made a note to talk to Craft Master Feng about the things. Surely there was some way to tell what was happening outside?

The tent flap shook as one of the guards flung it open, as if he expected to catch the two of them in some mischief. Instead he found Shirong Shidi carefully dressing Shun's hair in a more feminine style. Thank goodness Shun's slight build and soft features made the pretense possible. Even if their captors worked out he was a man they'd think him a weakling.

Barely a month earlier, Shun would have been infuriated at being seen as weak. Even now he didn't like the pretense. It was necessary, however. They had to get away from this place and that needed the General to believe their story. With luck, they might even persuade him to escort them to safety.

"You come." The guard's Imperial was stilted but comprehensible. Likely he couldn't carry on a conversation but at least he had enough to tell them what they had to do.

Shun gathered his 'robes' around him and wondered if it was his bad fortune or Shirong Shidi's good that'd provided him with an appropriate costume for his rôle. The curtains in his mother's palace were covered in delicate embroidery, exactly the sort of thing a performer would wear. He was just glad there'd been some spare clothes in their tent. He really didn't want to show off what lay beneath.

The guard led them back to the General's big tent, where a dozen or so of the General's officers had gathered, dishes of heavily sauced meats and flat breads placed between them. They ate and squabbled genially, paying little mind to the small outsiders in their midst.

Over half of the officers had brownish-red hair. One was blond and still another had hair so white she would have looked like an old woman if not for her smooth cheeks. She watched Shun with an interested look, leaving him wondering if she realized he was a man or if she preferred women. Either way she'd be disappointed.

Focusing his gaze on General Ishalan, Shun approached the center of the tent. "This A-Li has come to perform. Will General Ishalan hear her song?"

The General swallowed whatever wine he was drinking and smiled that overly sure smile of his. "Of course. Isn't that why I sent for you?"

Bowing, Shun closed his eyes momentarily, long enough to gather his wits and prepare himself. Then he sang, starting soft and low but slowly increasing the power of his voice. Instinctively, he drew on his qi, weaving it into the song and supporting the tones.

His audience quieted, their gazes startled and intent. At the same time the air seemed to shimmer around Shun, faint images forming around him. That scene Shirong Shidi had described; chill night air, snow drifting from the mountains, and a scarred warrior crying out in pain.

As the song ended and the image disappeared, General Ishalan stared down at Shun. "How did you...."

To be honest, Shun hadn't expected what'd happened, though he suspected his nature as the Adversary had something to do with it. He was going to have to learn to use this new power properly, before he made a mistake and injured someone.

Bowing, he said, "General? This A-Li doesn't understand." Best to pretend ignorance for the moment.

"That was Shu Duan! How did you bring his image here? Why would you bring it here, when he's been lost to the shadows for years now?"

Lost to the shadows? Shun's father? No one had told Shun what'd happened to his father after he'd left Shun at Leifeng Sect. A part of Shun wanted to catch hold of the General's collar and demand the truth. The other part didn't dare. This surely wasn't the time or place to reveal himself.