A New Challenge Rises

Oddly enough, Shirong was more fascinated than afraid. The Forest King was like nothing he'd ever imagined before. A thing of pure shadow, it shouldn't have been possible to see his features. Yet Shirong could and there was an amused kindness to them that relieved his mind completely.

Realizing Shun Shixiong wasn't able to see his father's face so clearly and therefore was afraid, Shirong stepped out from behind his senior brother and cupped his hands. "Respect, Your Majesty. I can't be sure, but I think my father regretted his actions."

"So he's told me on numerous occasions."

The dry statement startled Shirong. Startled Shun Shixiong as well. "You... you've met my father since then?"

"En." The Forest King turned. Beckoned for them to follow him to the base of the ancient tree. "You may stay the night here."

For a moment Shirong had no idea what the Forest King meant. Then he saw the steps leading down into a dark hole beneath the tree. He looked at his Shixiong, letting him decide what they should do. He, himself, wanted to trust this man, but he'd no skill at recognizing threats. Not compared to Shun Shixiong.

Gazing at the hole for a moment, Shun Shixiong obviously made up his mind and let the shadowy figure of his father - his former father - lead them down into the darkness.

It didn't last long. A few steps down light flared overhead. It wasn't a bulb or a torch or even a luminous pearl, but an intricate tangled pattern that Shirong slowly realized were roots. "From the silverleaf tree?" he asked, sliding his hand along their surface. They felt smooth. Warm. Friendly. And how was it he could tell any of those things?

"En." The Forest King either wasn't much of a talker or didn't feel the statement needed expanded. It took him several seconds before he finally added, "They only glow when they're tangled with golden bamboo."

Peculiar, but not an area Shirong understood. In his old life he'd been training as an alchemist. In his future life, he'd been a fencer. Neither prepared him for understanding the magical lifeforms in this world.

But wait. Alchemists used plants and animals in their work. If anyone ought to know about such matters, he should. Why not? Had he really been such a complete waste as a student? He tightened his lips around the realization that he'd failed and failed and failed his Shizun from the day he'd been chosen as Master Quan Lei's fourth disciple.

This wasn't the time to discuss the matter. Wasn't even the time to contemplate it. He couldn't waste time shaming himself over his past mistakes. He'd deal with them later, when he didn't have to worry about getting himself and his Shixiong through this mess.

By this time they'd entered a proper and oddly familiar room. "The Demon King's chambers?" Shirong couldn't help exclaiming.

"Not her chambers, no." The Forest King walked to another doorway and spoke past the curtains covering the opening, calling for tea and food. "Just a mimicry."

Oh. Shirong though he understood. The original room was where Master Shu Duan had been happy. No doubt he'd created this place in memory of that. "I'm not much use here," he said softly. "Should I find something else to do while you two talk?"

Immediately Shun Shixiong set a hand on his arm. "You're staying with me." As the Forest King turned to him, tilting his head in an inquiring way, he added, "My Shidi gets into horrible trouble on his own. We're best off together."

"I see. Just like his father, then." As Shirong blinked, a little surprised at the comparison, the Forest King gestured at the sitting area off to the side of the room. "Then we shall talk and you shall eat and rest before you continue on your journey."